SF2 Rebreather Try Dive at Blue Grotto (Sat April 25th)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Tom McCarthy

SF2/rEvo/Tempest Dive Boat
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
SF2-b.jpg

Hey everyone, NetDoc has made it clear that if I don't post more he'll do something terrible to me or my loved ones. Sooooo...

Come to the SF2 Rebreather Try Dive Event at Blue Grotto!
Saturday APRIL 25th

We'll have units to try. The owners and crew from SF2 Germany are even coming over for this!

Space is limited so please RSVP with Depth Perception Dive Center if you plan to try dive an SF2.
Phone is (813) 689-3483.

The only fee is the standard entrance to Blue Grotto.
You don't have to be CCR certified to have an instructor accompany you on a try dive.

-Capt Tom McCarthy
EastCoastWreckDiving.com

Last edited:
I've spent the last two days diving with Capt Tom and his SF2 here in Ginnie Springs. Damn, it looks nice underwater! Here I am toting two water heaters (LP120s) and he only has a small oxy cylinder and an 80 for his dil/bailout. Make no doubt about it, -I- turned the dives both days. On top of that, I'm doing 12-15 minutes deco on O2 and he has zilch, nada and squat. I hope to make it up for the demo day if I can clear next weekend. Of course, longer bottom times in the caves means I'll have to put on more than just a bathing suit and t-shirt to keep warm. It will be worth it, I'm sure!

I even own one of those.

For those of those thinking about this, Elena and I just cleared our calendars for this event. We will be there to have fun, see the newly opened cave, and huff on the new rebreather! Woot! Woot! :D :D :D

I went to this event and had an amazing time. I love this rebreather, I have played with one other and do not like it but loved this one. The guys from Germany were top notch and answered any questions I had. If you looking at a rebreather I would be taking a look at this one for sure. Thanks to everyone that helped me. If I had the cash I would be headed to Tampa for sure but time to start saving money with next two years I will be a rebreather diver.

SF2-BlueGrotto-Apr201551 small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got to play with one a few years ago in Mexico..........sweet little unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was such a fun event. Jeff from Depth Perception hosted it and he is an awesome person to meet if you're in the Tampa area. They are the US distributor and they have their heads screwed on tight. Safety, safety, safety was their biggest concern. They did not have to worry about the fun as it was just natural. I have a few videos I'll post if the sound turned out OK.

What a fun day!

I haven't been to Blue Grotto since I took my Nitrox course there eons ago (over a decade). The improvement to the facility are amazing. New spacious shop, big fill station, big rental shop. New pool for confined water training, cabanas for overnight stays. Eight covered pavilions for groups with plenty of picnic tables for each group. Stairs, ramps, benches near the water with tank bungees, new floating & underwater platforms and lighting for night diving (upon special request). Even a field of solar panels and a hydroponics garden that was growing lettuce, herbs, etc. If I lived closer, I'd certainly come here more often. That said, the facility limits number of divers to 140 per day. Many weekend days, divers get turned away (no worries, Devil's Den is across the Highway). So if you want to go on a weekend, you'd better make reservations in advance.

We were warmly greeting by the Depth Perception Owner and their team. They had students of several levels there too. And seeing them in the water, they were squared away. I won't hesitate to refer students to them. Also in full force all the way from Germany, were the Scuba Force team who engineered and manufacture the SF2 Rebreather.
All day long, any certified diver who wanted to try a rebreather got a personal explanation of the unit from one of the pros and then got to go test it out.
And boy, did I like that unit. I've tried several rebreathers, even certified on a couple, but this was the most streamlined, lightest unit, I've gotten to dive. Contrary to all the others with counterlungs on the chest, shoulders, or in the back, the SF2 has it in the bottom, making it very streamlined like diving an AL80 with a couple of small pony's on the sides. The counterlung compresses if you are totally upright, but DUH we dive horizontally. Also unlike the other's I've tried where I had to monkey with adding weights in various places, the SF2 trims out very nicely from the get go. SCUBA SANTA :xmas_2:ARE YOU LISTENING? :D

Thanks Tom for inviting us to this event.
Here is a link to some photos I took : https://plus.google.com/u/1/photos/116236458654385074776/albums/6142214348203527025

SF2-BlueGrotto-Apr201572 small.jpg

The fun continues... We're here in High Springs and as I was exiting the water at Ginnie, I ran into Steve Lewis, Horst, Tom and Uwe. Going back to welcome them out of the water in a few minutes. They are headed to the Maple Leaf and possibly the White Room.

Back
Top Bottom