Seychelles or Turks & Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louiselsorensen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello :) i'm trying to decide between going to T&C or the Seychelles in the end of march 2016. It you have been in either place, please tell me pro's and cons - particularly your experiences with diving. I will be going with my family, and two of us are divers, the rest are not - they do love snorkeling and other water-related activities though.

Thank you!
- Louise

Sadly I have never been to the Seychelles so I cannot advise you; but I do have some experience with the Turks and Caicos. I have only done some liveaboard diving trips in TCI - and it was fantastic - dramatic walls, healthy reefs, lots of sea life, plenty of large creatures including turtles, eagle rays, and sharks on almost every dive.

The reason we have chosen liveaboards in TCI is because the general consensus is that the best dive sites are off of French Cay and West Caicos and they are not usually accessible to the land-based boats. I have read that you can expect long boat rides to get to and from the better sites if you are using land-based diving from Provo, and the nearby sites are not the best, but since this is primarily a family vacation with snorkeling and a little diving, that may be fine.

We love Provo and usually spend a week on the island before getting on a liveaboard. I am a big fan of the Cayman Islands but I think that Grace Bay Beach on Provo is even better than Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman - the powdery white sand and the turquoise water are incredibly beautiful.

Provo is a nice mixture of old-fashioned island quaintness and modern tourist location so you get the best of both worlds. It is very expensive, the US dollar is the unit of currency but it doesn't buy much. We like to stay in an apartment or condo (like the Royal West Indies) with access to a full kitchen and a washer and dryer. We prepare some simple breakfast and lunch meals and may go out for dinner. There are some very lovely restaurants on the island. We like Opus the best. English is the official language. The cruise ships dock on Grand Turk - at the cruise ship port - and not Provo so that is nice.

I am not a fan of big mega resorts (but I've only tried one - a Club Med - and didn't care for it.) But you might try looking into the all-inclusive Beaches Resort on Provo because it offers water sports and activities for the entire family. The resort also offers scuba at no additional cost. I have read both negative and positive things about the Beaches scuba offerings so you should research it on this forum. But again, if you are primarily on a family vacation but would like to get in some dives, it might be a good option for you.

In March the water temp on the reef will be a little chilly, probably in the mid-70s F. That's not bad but if you like it warmer then that's something to consider. You should drink bottled water because they have had some outbreaks of Norovirus (unless your resort provides filtered, treated water?) I haven't heard much about Dengue or Chikungunya on TCI but it is always wise to use insect repellent in the Caribbean.

Good luck and I hope you have a great trip wherever you go!

Last edited:
disclaimer:
I was on a dive trip to Provo for a week 15 years ago and lived in Seychelles 30 years ago. So I can provide no current information.

generality:
I’d think your decision would be based largely on your past (and anticipated future) diving experience and especially what non-scuba attractions you and your family prefer.

diving:
The diving in both locations was great back then, but T&C is pretty typical of the Caribbean in general, while Seychelles is Indian Ocean with some uniqueness because of its isolated location. Indo-Pacific diving will always provide a wider variety of marine life simply because of the greater number of species. Seychelles is more soft corals, T&C more hard corals. My lifetime most enjoyable dives were in Seychelles. All else being equal, I’d recommend Seychelles. But all else is never equal.

Wow thank you both for your answers! Very useful!
At the moment I think we are leaning towards the Seychelles :)

Do you remember which island in the Seychelles you stayed on?

I lived on the main island of Mahé for six years but visited/dived near most of the granitic (nearby) islands. My all-time favorite dive happened to occur off Praslin, but I had great dives everywhere, and there’s more to do topside on Mahé.

Whatever you choose, it would be great if you'd post a trip report here on ScubaBoard afterwards. And if it's Seychelles, I'm envious.

Alright, thank you - its always a little tricky with location!

I will absolutely post a trip report. Either way, it sounds like we are in for a great trip! :) from my research, end of march is ideal for diving conditions in the seychelles

tips? Only what I remind myself of occasionally: - Things naturally move more slowly in the tropics, so if you have to wait for something, relax and appreciate that you’re waiting in warm weather, in pretty surroundings. And Enjoy! After all, it’s vacation.

best wishes for a great trip,

k

Having done TCI for the past few years, I would recommend going somewhere else. TCI is a great place, the ocean and dive sites are amazing, but sadly over the past few years the overall quality has declined.

Far fewer fish on the reefs...very few large groupers, and a decline in the smaller reef fish as well, very few sharks, very few turtles. Overall the feedback from the dive guides has been that the past few years has been tough for diving at TCI. One suspect is the lion fish, the other suspect is over fishing.

I don't mean to dump on TCI, as we have many great memories and lots of great dives there, but I do feel like the area is in decline over the past few years.

I went to T&C last July and stayed with my family at the Beaches resort. For me it was great since the diving was part of the all inclusive package. Two tank morning dives and was back at the resort having lunch with the wife and kids. For very serious divers they may not like getting lumped in with vacation divers and lots of newbie's. Divers are grouped into 6-8 divers and no real buddies in group buddy system. I don't really mind and for me I was just happy being in the water diving.I thought the corals were amazing. Lots of schooling fish. One day saw several sharks and a few turtles. Groupers weren't huge but a few were fair size. Some peacock groupers in particular were my favorites. Did see a few lion fish but they weren't as many as I've seen a few years ago. It was easily one of the better reefs I've seen in a while, including last years trip to Maui.Never been to Seychelles so can't advise you there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom