Severe newb question - Lenses and Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTSupra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all, I'm looking into getting my first UW setup here in the near feature, but I'm trying my best to research as much as possible before going out and purchasing anything, so excuse my newb question here.

I've been looking at getting an Ikelite housing for a Canon G12. My question pertains to the lenses. I'm assuming I need to purchase a standard canon lens, and then pick up a wide angel dome adapter for the housing? How do lenses work with housings? Do they simply screw onto the housing and get covered with their own independent dome? I've been looking at ikelites site for pictures, but they have attachments on the front of the housing already, so it's kind of hard to tell.

Obviously this is a beyond basic question, but I'm just trying to make sure I have my facts right. It seems wide angle lenses are the first things people pick up for lenses, so will I be needing to look at getting one that fits my housing?

Any advice pointing me in the right direction or clearing up any misunderstandings I may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey all, I'm looking into getting my first UW setup here in the near feature, but I'm trying my best to research as much as possible before going out and purchasing anything, so excuse my newb question here.

I've been looking at getting an Ikelite housing for a Canon G12. My question pertains to the lenses. I'm assuming I need to purchase a standard canon lens, and then pick up a wide angel dome adapter for the housing? How do lenses work with housings? Do they simply screw onto the housing and get covered with their own independent dome? I've been looking at ikelites site for pictures, but they have attachments on the front of the housing already, so it's kind of hard to tell.

Obviously this is a beyond basic question, but I'm just trying to make sure I have my facts right. It seems wide angle lenses are the first things people pick up for lenses, so will I be needing to look at getting one that fits my housing?

Any advice pointing me in the right direction or clearing up any misunderstandings I may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The Canon G12 is a point and shoot camera. It has its own non-interchangeable lens. There is no other Canon lens to buy. Ikelite sells a dome adapter that screws onto the front port that allows the G12 to make full use of its widest setting. They also sell an adapter that allows you to screw on close up lenses for more macro capability. AFAIK the Ikelite housing does not work well with other external wide angle lenses like the Inon ones.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom