Setup ?? Which lights would you recommend while also utilizing filter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tazman282

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been doing a lot of research and trying to figure out the overall setup for my GoPro Black 3+ For an upcoming trip to GBR and El Nido.

I have a tray setup with the Flip 3.1 but currently no lights but in the market to get some for up close video and possibly using the the BS Macromate +15 and the BS Dive filter with or without lights.

According to this site; GoPro Out of the Box: Settings and Stability Options

(which by the way is some great info and explanations so check it out) with the update of 2014 and pro tune on the 3+ Black works a lot like the 4 and they recommend leaving it on. The videos they show has major improvements and even with lights on they don't get that overly red video.

So my question is this, is it beneficial to have a lower quality light such as the sidekick duo or something in the 600-800 lumens to enhance the ability of the red filter vs. an over powered or more adequate >1000 lumens light? I ask this because It seems that with the higher power lights it tries to replace the colors that are lost which then throws off white balance and color saturation of the Go Pro because there is to much red and then shows reddish video? I could be totally off here but I have watched at least 150 videos and just taking mental note of setups if posted and this is my conclusion. So it may be prudent to use a light that offers roughly 3M of wide angle flood with a red filter or very high powered lights only no filter, or just the filter alone.

What's your take??

Any takers with advice to the above with low level 3M flood lights and red filter!!!

What is the best setup of either two lights or one light less then $200???

You use a red filter or you use lights... not together. In my opinion, you would need a light to really get the best out of the macro mate. The brighter the light the better, 2 is always better than 1 so just get what your can with your money!

You need to understand that the lights will not do much in the day past 3-4 feet, so for medium and long distance shots, it often makes sense to use a filter, but for close up shots, the extra lights will add a tremendous amount of clarity, color and will make the videos pop. using the lights and filters close up is not the best option for realistic color.

Here is something to consider.. A complete turn key solution and modular too.

Two Handle Camera Tray | MAKO Spearguns

No great answers for you. You are taking the right approach by watching videos and comparing the quality you see with the set-up used. As with anything, more light is better. The more $ you spend will, in general, get you better quality. I haven't chimed in on this because of the price point. I've used a 1 light set-up with a Sea-Life 1200 Dragon light (I think it was $299) and now have a dual SOLA set-up (much more expensive). The SOLAs give me better results because = 2 vs. 1 light; wider beam when in flood mode and better overall light quality/consistency (footage appears slightly more yellow in the old single light set-up). You might consider joining the GoPro Underwater group on Facebook moderated by Peter Bucknell......lots of helpful advice over there.

Any takers with advice to the above with low level 3M flood lights and red filter!!!

What is the best setup of either two lights or one light less then $200???
What did you end up with? I am planning to dive the Lady Luck next month and have the FLIP 3.1 but also looking for a light under $200, but I noticed some of them are rated only up to 90' and the ship is in like 130' of water I believe. So I am very interested in what you ended up going with TASMAN282?

This isn't a highly scientific comparison, since these images (captured from video footage) were taken on different dives at different depths with different critters and probably at slightly different distances. Both were taken here in New England, USA. Also, the first image was taken with a Hero 3+ and the other was with a Hero 4 Black. The user (me) was the same ;-)

That said, both images were taken using the same settings = protune on, 1080p, medium FOV, 60 fps. Backscatter macromate mini lens.

The takeaway - you can get some really good quality macro images with one relatively inexpensive light or 2 very expensive ones. The difference with the dual lights is that the warmth, quality and evenness of the light seems to be better with 2. Both of these lights have 3 brightness settings.....I had them set on the least bright setting in both cases.

Image 1 was taken using 1 light = SeaLife SeaDragon 1200. The Sealife tray is pretty narrow, meaning the light is pretty close to the camera.
GOPR2474-XL.jpg

Image 2 was taken with dual SOLA 2100s, using a Snake River Protoyping tray and attached arms. When filming macro with dual lights, I tend to put one light shooting straight and down towards the subject and the other light pointing at the subject from the side.
Halfway%20%26%20Picket%20-%20Aug%202016%20-%20still%201.jpg

Last edited:
I use a GoPro Hero4 Silver on a pole with a Big Blue video light here in California. I found I got best results in day diving to set the camera in Protune on, white balance on auto, red filter and video light. At night same settings but I flip the filter off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom