Setting White Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chrisan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone I'm goin on my first serious photo dive with my new rig. How do you guys set your white balance? Does anyone use a white/gray card? I'm thinking about just using the "underwater" setting in the camera and then tweaking in post. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Chris

I set white balance to manual, 5500º K and shoot in raw. My strobe is close to 5500º so it's a good match. Shooting in raw requires post-processing where you can further tweak the white balance.

When I used to shoot in JPEG, I used the cloudy setting as it adds a bit of warmth to the image. Check out the Cathy Church tips for more info:Cathy Church Tips

I set white balance to manual, 5500º K and shoot in raw. My strobe is close to 5500º so it's a good match. Shooting in raw requires post-processing where you can further tweak the white balance.

When I used to shoot in JPEG, I used the cloudy setting as it adds a bit of warmth to the image. Check out the Cathy Church tips for more info:Cathy Church Tips

Hey Gary thanks for the response. I'll be shooting in RAW and will be tweaking in post. I'll read the Cathy Church stuff. Thanks !

Are you shooting with strobes, LED lights, or natural light? With strobes, set your white balance to the color temperature of the strobes; with LEDs or natural light, it's helpful to white balance off a grey card even when shooting RAW. The grey card should be at a similar distance from your camera to your subject; I've seen some divers use white/grey fins as reference point, or put a wrist slate on their ankle.

Are you shooting with strobes, LED lights, or natural light? With strobes, set your white balance to the color temperature of the strobes; with LEDs or natural light, it's helpful to white balance off a grey card even when shooting RAW. The grey card should be at a similar distance from your camera to your subject; I've seen some divers use white/grey fins as reference point, or put a wrist slate on their ankle.
I'll be shooting with strobes. I'll check the temp on those and adjust accordingly. Good tip. Thanks.

Hey everyone I'm goin on my first serious photo dive with my new rig. How do you guys set your white balance? Does anyone use a white/gray card? I'm thinking about just using the "underwater" setting in the camera and then tweaking in post. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Chris
You can use a clean dive slate....or a patch of white sand to get it close if that is available to you at your dive site.

You can use a clean dive slate....or a patch of white sand to get it close if that is available to you at your dive site.
OK I'll try that too. I'll probably get 10 or so dives in on this trip so I'll try a couple things.

Thanks !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom