Setting white balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fastmarc

Just drifting along...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I just got a Ikelite case for my Sony DSC-S60 and in my quest to learn how to operate it underwater, I read that to get the proper white balance, you should carry something white with you and set the white balance. I am wondering if anyone can advise me how to get this done on this camera as I cannot figure it out.
If this camera is unable to do it this way, what would be the best way to work around this?

Thanks,
Marc

I don't know, but it should be in your instruction manual. This camera says it has five wb options, but I couldn't see if manual control was one of them.

If it's not,there really is no workaround. But you can experiment with the various five settings it does have and see what appeals to your eye more.

Have fun!

Fastmarc:
Hi all,

I just got a Ikelite case for my Sony DSC-S60 and in my quest to learn how to operate it underwater, I read that to get the proper white balance, you should carry something white with you and set the white balance. I am wondering if anyone can advise me how to get this done on this camera as I cannot figure it out.
If this camera is unable to do it this way, what would be the best way to work around this?

Thanks,
Marc
Hey Marc, wha gwaan bredrin?

Didn't know that you were getting an underwater camera, could have given you a bit of advice on it.

Not particularly familiar with most of the Sony line or range of cameras, but a cursory look of this camera on Sony's website and others doesn't make note of a manual white balance feature.
So i'm inclined to believe that that feature isn't available to you.

Failing that, you'll probably get best results setting your camera to a cloudy or underwater white balance preset, if that is available to you.

You'll also probaly get best results taking macros (shots of small subjects) with the flash on.
Cheers and hope to see you around some of the dive sites...

It would probably be also wise to think about getting an image editing program such as Photoshop.
There is also a fairly full featured program from Google which is free called Picasa
Good for basic touchups and the like...

Hey Chris,

Not a thing, bredrin... just here.

It was a case that I had the camera from before and wanted to see if I would like taking pics underwater, so I hunted a case for it and luckily, Ikelite happened to make one for it.
Judging from my first outing, I gonna like doing this, so I figure I will use this set-up to learn and upgrade when the time come.
On my next dive, I will try the various settings and see how it comes out. This question was more for landscape or distance shot that I would try not using the flash as with the flash the w/b is set to auto.
If I have any questions I will surely shoot you a pm.

Marc

Fastmarc:
Hey Chris,

Not a thing, bredrin... just here.

It was a case that I had the camera from before and wanted to see if I would like taking pics underwater, so I hunted a case for it and luckily, Ikelite happened to make one for it.
Judging from my first outing, I gonna like doing this, so I figure I will use this set-up to learn and upgrade when the time come.
On my next dive, I will try the various settings and see how it comes out. This question was more for landscape or distance shot that I would try not using the flash as with the flash the w/b is set to auto.
If I have any questions I will surely shoot you a pm.

Marc

No problem.
That's generally where white balance comes in best in "reefscape" type shots or something in the distance.
You generally get colours that look a lot more realistic that way as compared to the camera in auto WB mode in which you'll only get shades of blue.

Have a look at this thread, to figure out what all this white balance hype is about

Best of luck with the camera and look forward to your pics :).

Fastmarc:
Hi all,

Thanks,
Marc

If you have Photoshop you may want to try this process on your non-strobe shots since you don't have manual white balance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom