Setting time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The board SW knows where you are connected to the internet even if you are not logged in.
But it doesn't adjust your local time until you log in.
When I'm not logged in, the board posting time is US EST. When I'm logged in, the board posting time is my local time.

Mine was doing the opposite. When logged in, I was on Thai time. Logged out, Belize (US Central)

Oops sorry - I rushed my answer as I was heading off to a meeting and was way too obtuse.

1) when you access the site it obtains the IP address of where your browser is connected to the internet. Even if you are not logged in.
Some software systems use this IP address as your physical location. SB does not. Your IP address may be somewhat related to your real location but it may not be. You can fool the system by connecting via a VPN service that may allow you to connect from almost anywhere in the world without you physically moving from your lazyboy.

When I travel I use a VPN service to pretend I am still at home(ish) when accessing my bank accounts (this is too fool the bank's stupid security system).

2) SB has no idea who is pressing the keys. Once you log in it assumes it is you (it could be anyone) and provides a more personal experience by doing nice things for you. Things like:
- displaying times in whichever timezone you have selected in your profile preferences. You are free to choose any timezone. It does not have to be associated with your perceived location based on IP address.
- tracking read threads, new posts, etc....
- access to special forums

If you are not logged in then SB will display times in the "guest timezone". There is only 1 guest timezone. All non logged in users see the same guest timezone regardless of their location.

Mine was doing the opposite. When logged in, I was on Thai time. Logged out, Belize (US Central)
That probably means that the time zone you set as yours in the profile was Thai. Why you get CST instead of EST when you aren't logged in is beyond me. Is there a daylight savings difference between Belize and the US? There is between The US, Europe and most of East Asia.

when you access the site it obtains the IP address of where your browser is connected to the internet. Even if you are not logged in.
No matter whether it does, the board SW doesn't adjust your displayed time until you're logged in and the board SW knows which time zone you live in (or, rather, prefer).

As you yourself said, some people use VPNs. It would be rather confusing if the board changed the displayed time according to which VPN server you were connected to. So, if not logged in = EST, if logged in = time zone as set in preferences.

That probably means that the time zone you set as yours in the profile was Thai. Why you get CST instead of EST when you aren't logged in is beyond me. Is there a daylight savings difference between Belize and the US? There is between The US, Europe and most of East Asia.
Belize doesn't do daylight savings. We're on Ricky Mt time in the summer, Central in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom