Servicing your own equipment and regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Just a quick question. How would one learn to service their own regs and other equipment? Any advice on where to look or how to learn would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Alex

alexxred:
Hi,

Just a quick question. How would one learn to service their own regs and other equipment? Any advice on where to look or how to learn would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Alex

I wouldn't recommend it unless you were really in a jam and had no LDS near you. That said, most manufacturers publish service guides that can be either purchased or downloaded from the 'net in pdf format. They include exploded diagrams, part names and numbers and steps to change/ service proprietary technologies. The best way to practice is to get a reg that you don't intend to use and get a parts kit for it. Then grab the manual, and get to work.

Just in curiosity, what reg are you looking to work on and it is just the 2nd stage you want to play with?

alexxred:
Hi,

Cheers

Alex

If you are mechanically inclined, basic regulators are easy to service. I don't know much about more complicated regulators, but my USDivers Conshelf XIVs are very simple. However, if you don't have good mechanical aptitude, you may do something wrong, and the consequences could be very severe. I trust my own rebuids more than a dive shop's rebuild simply because if I do the work I am aware of all the details. I rebuilt my Conshelf from a simple parts breakdown originally, but I now have the detailed rebuild manual (gotta love the internet), which makes it much safer.

However, I also have considerable confidence in my abilities (and I have plenty of tools). If you do not already have those skills, you would be better off taking a course, and, sorry to say, I have no experience there.

awap:
Here is a great way to get started: www.airspeedpress.com

The author is Oxyhacker on this board.

What kind of regs are you wanting to service?

Scuba pro Mk25AF s600 - Anyone know if these are fairly straight forward or complicated. Any idea on where I could find the manuals?

The Mk 25 is fairly straight forward, but to do the job well you need some special tools. Same with the S600.

www.scubatools.com is a good place to start with tool purchases as they have sections for tools by company and descriptions of what works with what. They alos sell a book - "regulator savvy" that offers a good general education in operating theory, adjustment theory, basic repair techiques etc. It is written by Pete Wolfinger who used to be the tech services guru at Scubapro and wrote their training manuals. Many of the cut way drawings in the book are cut aways of SP regs.

alexxred:
Hi,

Cheers

Alex

I learned by asking lots of questions, and reading the repair manual like a novel a few times before cracking the regs open. Now, I will only work on Conshelf series regs that I own, but my goal in learning was to be able to rebuild my own gear, not anything that might walk through an LDS door.
The airspeed press and scubatoys rebuild books look good, too.

Once you read and learn the basics, your best option is to ask then check with your local dive shop. If you have and display a fairly high degree of mechanical aptitude, knowledge of regulator operating principles and an interest in doing some reg repair part time, they may be interested in taking you the rest of the way and giving you some hands on training and experience.

It's a lot safer to go that way as in addition to learning the theory of how things work, it really helps to get some hands on experience actually doing reg repair under someone who knows what they are doing. Plus, with some companies being associated with a shop will solve your parts availability problems and keep you from having to scrounge sometimes dubious parts off e-bay.

Reg repair is a lot like playing golf, just reading about it does not make you good at it. But unlike golf, doing reg repair badly can get you killed.

It is a somewhat controversial topic. There are distinct advantages I think to having divers understand as much as possible about how the equipment works, so that they can understand what may be happening (and how to most efficiently resolve the problem) when something goes wrong at depth. This is essentially the same philosphy as training pilots about aircraft systems.

On the other hand, just like with an aircraft where a poorly maintained or repaired system can precipitate a failure and cause a emergency that then has to be resolved, a badly serviced reg can also precipitate an emergency situation. In both cases doing maintenence and repair properly calls for a fairly high level of knowledge and training. In the majority of cases, the only way to obtain that level of experience currently in the dive industry is to be associated with a dive shop.

alexxred:
Scuba pro Mk25AF s600 - Anyone know if these are fairly straight forward or complicated. Any idea on where I could find the manuals?

Try this site for documentation: http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/sp.html

Those regs are fairly easy to work on. I'd recommend getting the 1st stage assembly tool, a yoke nut socket (can be homemade), and a tube of christolube. Other tools can be improvised or worked around. Parts are readily available on e-bay until you find a supportive shop. DA aquamaster is the resident expert.

I'd still get Vance Harlow's book. I think it may be better suited for the kitchen table DIYer.

Good luck

DA Aquamaster:
Reg repair is a lot like playing golf, just reading about it does not make you good at it. But unlike golf, doing reg repair badly can get you killed.

DA, when I rebuilt my XIV, I did quite a few shallow water test dives, after testing it above water several times. It always breathed perfect, and the ip never fluctuated oddly. Given the simplicity of the Conshelf design, are there any other gotchas that I should look out for?

Back
Top Bottom