servicing computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zagnut

Reaction score
I assume your gauges get checked once a year when you service your regulator and first stage. If your console has a computer, do they check it as well? If so, what is involved in this process? Do you all have your wrist computers serviced as often? I'm still renting my gear at this point but plan to purchase very soon. Also, I was thinking of getting gauges only in my console and eventually getting a wrist computer. This way the financial blow wouldn't be as hard up front when I purchase the initial the bulk of my setup. After I get the computer, the gauge could be used for backup. Do any of you all do it this way(wrist computer/gauges only in console) and what are your thoughts on my reasoning?

The computer is generally turned on, put in a pressure pot with a clear lid and pressurized to a pre-set depth. The gauge is visually checked for accuracy, nothing more. If it's off it's reported to the customer, and recommended to be sent back to the vendor for repair or replacement.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Is it common for a LDS service center to check a brand they don't sell? Like say, if I want to buy all my gear at a certain shop but they don't sell Suunto, If I purchase my Suunto computer elsewhere, will I run into problems getting all my gear serviced at that shop or will I end up having to have my computer checked at the place I bought it? Or say, if I order a Suunto console off the internet, do you think I will run into problems trying to get that dive shop to install the console onto my first stage if I bought my regulator and BC at that dive shop?

Hi there Zagnut.

I believe that manufacturers differ in their policies regarding how when and where you should have your equipment (including computers) serviced. Lets say for example that you had a Scubapro computer and you purchased that from a source other than your local dive shop (an authorised scubapro dealer who issue a valid warranty). Then you would have to get it serviced by an authorised Scubapro dealer, if your LDS is authorised by Scubapro then you could get it serviced there. However this varies between manufacturers so the best thing to do is get in contact with the manufacturer and ask them yourself. try e-mail first and then if you dont get an answer try phoning them. Some manufacturers can be very strict (for good reason) about warranties and the upkeep of them, Scubapro is a notorious for being exacting when it comes to warranties. But if for example you purchased a Suunto computer from wherever and you got it serviced by your LDS (who isnt a Suunto dealer) then you will probably VOID the warranty altogether. I bought 70% of my gear from different sites on the internet, i choose to send each piece of my gear back to the original place where i bought it. This is probably slightly more expensive (than having all the gear done by one shop) but not by very much since its only done per annum and i limited myself to purchasing form 4 online locations. As a sideline, i always have and always will send my regulators back to the manufacturers factory for testing, i simply do not trust any old dive shop (including my LDS who are authorised to service my regs) to do it properly.

I know this is diverging from the initial intent of this post - but Frog's post has me wondering - I was considering purchasiung the Apes TX 100 w/Tx 40 octo from DiveInn ($402 plus shipping) in Spain. My LDS will do the annual service as they are a SeaQuest dealer (an american distributor for Apeks) but I would feel more comfortable sending the req back to Apeks (a little more expensive with shipping - but this is life support equipment we're talking about). Does anyone know if Apeks offers this service? I am looking for the Apeks web address (I have it in a note somewhere), but I haven't found it as of yet.

Martinjc,

This is not a critcism, but why do you consider it better to box up your gear and send it to a complete stranger? You might consider asking others who have used your LDS about the service they provided--and if they were satisfied, use the LDS.

Regs are not really all that high tech and a competent local service person really can do a fine job.

Just a thought....

Joewr

What you're saying makes sense Joewr - it's just that there is really only 1 LDS in my area (landlocked in central Ohio) and I have had mixed reviews about them. So it look slike - I'll either have to drive to a different city in Ohio or send my equipment out anyway.

Hi Martin,

If you are going to be sending your equipment out to be serviced, you might try one of the US base "repair only" facilities like Dive Tech West. That's what they specialize in. They don't sell anything or promote anything, they just do repairs (including authorized warranty work) on all kinds of equipment from most of the major manufacturers from shops all over the place. I have heard from many people that DTW is the best place to send equipment to be repaired. Nothing but glowing praise for them. And they get your gear back to you in a reasonable time frame.

You would still have to think about the shipping, but at least it would be domestic and not international, which would still be cheaper. DTW give information about their shipping and warranty work policies here.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom