Serviced my first regulator!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davehicks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Inspired by this forum I set out to service my own regulators for the first time today!

* I bought the Vince Harlow book and spent the last week reading it, pretty thoroughly in the overview sections and skimming the deep dives in a few relevant areas.

* I downloaded the PDF schematics for most of the regulators I own from some of the sources referenced here.

* I ordered a few tools most importantly a new Ultrasonic Cleaner, and a gun cleaning kit with brass & nylon brushes. I still need an inside pin spanner but made do with jewelers screwdrivers.

So I dove in with a very old Mares MR12 1st stage I've used as an argon / inflation only regulator for many years without servicing. It was NOT in good shape!
It went great! Extremely simple to do and didn't need a parts kit for this reg. It only has one oring and the diaphragms and seats were in decent shape. There was corrosion and build up on almost every part once I took it apart, yet it still put out a good solid IP.

The Ultrasonic made easy work of the clean up and the nasty parts mostly looked brand new with a little extra work from the brushes.

After reassembly and IP testing, it was pretty simple to get it back to a perfect 135 psi IP output. I still need a new OPV but I feel a lot better about using the reg on a regular basis now.

Next project will be to service the 2nd stages. I have some old Mare's 2nd Stages not used in years I'll experiment with. I have a mix of Aqualung and ScubaPro regs we use for breathing and bailout but I'm thinking maybe I should standardize on one setup now to make parts and servicing less complicated.

Last edited:
They just aren't that hard to do, and it means more to you that they work than any technician.

Which detergents you used on your Ultrasonic cleaner ?
Just a bit of simple green in the bath. I ran the ultrasonic for about 20 minute cycles, little parts then big parts.

20 minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner is a bit too much. I try to minimize its use since it actually takes off microscopic amounts of material from your reg. I actually use it only with heavy corrosion and not routinely. I also do not immerse the crown/hard seat when I need to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom