Service pressure of Steel 72

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering what people routinely fill the ole’ 72s to. I know it is suppose to be 2250 (or 2475 if you still have the +.) I was in the LDS the other day and the girl working the compressor said something about 3000 psi (because that’s all she is use to) I didn’t want her to kill herself and blow up my tank so I said 2500 would be fine. I guess I am wondering how much overfill you can routinely take these things to.

I was wondering what people routinely fill the ole’ 72s to. I know it is suppose to be 2250 (or 2475 if you still have the +.) I was in the LDS the other day and the girl working the compressor said something about 3000 psi (because that’s all she is use to) I didn’t want her to kill herself and blow up my tank so I said 2500 would be fine. I guess I am wondering how much overfill you can routinely take these things to.

istock_can-of-worms.jpg

Oh your bad :rofl3:

OldNSalty:
I know it is suppose to be 2250

Usually, but I have a couple that are 2150.

OldNSalty:
I guess I am wondering how much overfill you can routinely take these things to.

I don't. I usually fill them to the working pressure.

There have been at least 2 contentious threads re: overfilling tanks. Let's don't do it again. Use the search feature instead.

The old 72 that I have is rated 2250 psi and with the '+' rating I can fill it to 2470 psi. I would expect the tank pressure to be no more than 2500 after it cooled.

Richard

I have 10 of them, none + stamped that I fill myself to between 2600 and 2700 to get a cold 2500.

They are 3AA steel tanks. In N FL it is common for 3AA steel 2400 psi tanks to get filled to 3600 psi - 150% of the service pressure. A comparable fill in a 2250 psi tank would be 3375 psi but I do not know of anyone who does that due to the general predudice against "older" 2250 psi tanks despite an identical engineering standard and safety margin.

What is worse is that it is often hard to get a fill operator to exceed the service rating by the 200 or so psi needed at normal fill rates to have the full service pressure after the tank cools to room temperature - which by the way is by definition not an overfill.

Personally, I tended to fill mine to 2600 which gave 75 cu ft of gas rather than the 65 cu ft they held at 2250 psi.

Cool-Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. It sounds like I don't need the Al 80's then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom