September tropical diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CathyE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I like warm water and pretty fish.
I turn 60 mid Sept and now that we are fully vaccinated and things are opening back up I would like to look at a vacation.
Where is your favourite early Sept warm water diving.
I’m not looking at logistics nor costs yet, just where do you like to go, and why.
Thanks!

You made me look at my logbook. September, along with August are the only 2 months I've never done a dive - we decided to not travel during hurricane months pretty much - the only dive trip we had planned in Sept. was to St.Maarten, but Hurricane Irma took care of that one.

If I were going somewhere in Sept., not worrying about weather, it would be to St. Croix for the ease of travel right now, the variety and ease of diving, and to be able to dive the Frederiksted Pier a few times. If I considered weather, I'd probably try to hit one of the ABC islands since they are outside the hurricane belt. Although I've only been to Aruba, it had some great wrecks. From reading SB, I know the others offer their own uniqueness.

Yes, we got caught in the DR between Irma and Maria, for my husband’s 60th Bday. :-(
The ABC islands are worth looking into.
Thanks!

I like warm water and pretty fish.
I turn 60 mid Sept and now that we are fully vaccinated and things are opening back up I would like to look at a vacation.
Where is your favourite early Sept warm water diving.
I’m not looking at logistics nor costs yet, just where do you like to go, and why.
Thanks!

I'd say either the ABC islands (Bonaire for shore diving) or Hawaii. Monsoon season in Hawaii doesn't start until later in October (though we've been in October numerous times and had good weather).

Goliath Grouper aggregation in Palm Beach County, FL. You won’t see it anywhere else!

I don't dive in the Caribbean in September because of hurricane season. I like St. Croix, but it was hit by the 2017 hurricanes in September. I didn't care for Aruba diving. Bonaire is good. I'm going to Curacao in a few months but haven't been yet. As others have said, the ABC islands are out of the hurricane belt. Hawaii is "meh" for diving, but I love the islands, especially during humpback whale season. Wherever you go, book your car first. There's a shortage of rental cars and the going rate can be $300+ per day (if you can find a car and if they actually have one when you arrive). Have fun!!

Kona - 2 years ago the water temp was 82 and it was beautiful. No threat of hurricanes. Opportunity to see mantas, Tiger sharks and monk seals. Beautiful underwater and lots to do on dry land. It would make a great birthday week celebration!!

Bonaire, or Curacao. They are both great with lots of shore diving opportunities on both islands, but more on Bonaire. Both have ample boat diving of you prefer that. More to do topside on Curacao, and nicer beaches. Also airfare to Curacao can be less than half of what it is to Bonaire.

Bonaire if you want to dive, dive, dive. Aruba if you want nightlife, activities, beach and to do a little diving. Curaçao if you want a bit of both. All mostly out of hurricane zone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom