September, Cenderawasih Bay or Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kkshxt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I am a serious underwater photographer and now considering between Cenderawasih Bay and Raja Ampat for a dive trip this year in September. My choices are limited due to the liveaboard vacancy.

I have been to Raja Ampat in Feb and loved it very much. But, is September a good season to go Raja Ampat?

As for Cenderawasih Bay, I have not been there and I can't find any information other than whale sharks. Liveaboard has shared a nice sample itinerary including wall diving and wrecks. But I am not sure if it's sugarcoated and would like to know the "reality". Comparing to Raja Ampat, are the corals as colorful and various? Are fish approachable when divers with cameras come close?

It seems divers rarely share their experiences in Cenderawashi Bay. I would appreciate it if any of you could share your stories there. Any comments are welcome. Thank you!

On the website link I gave you for Alor, you will find some trip reports to central R4 during july/august period. (even though that's not sept it should be similar/better conditions : diving is limited to Dampier, with much better viz but no mantas... because of no plancton.).

Can't help for Cendrawasih. There was Ahe resort a few years ago famous for whale sharks sightings, it seems it has gone down within 2 years.
Destinataion that is not anymore on my bucketlist, it's been replaced with Triton Bay : whale sharks as well but more diversity and biomass.

Edit I remember one long report on Cendrawasih's Ahe resort : check this out Ahe Dive Resort, Cenderawasih Bay (long review)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom