September 22, a historical day for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Part one Divers flag September 22

(In the September 1957 edition of "Skin Diver magazine; a magazine for spear fishermen and skin divers," Ted Nixon, proposed a flag to identify recreational diving activities..This flag became the Red and White Divers flag

September 22 1962

Darrell Toso was diving in the protected cove at "Long point " Catalina Island California. Little did he realize when he began the dive that when he surfaced from this dive would it become a historical event.
A 40 foot boat was bearing down on his surface float and divers flag . He surfaced near the float was struck and severely injured as his flag a float which were also struck and shredded by the churning of the boats propeller,
Though a series of miraculous events he was rushed to the Avalon Hospital for treatment - He lost the use of his left arm and much of the back muscular tissue was damaged beyond repair - but he survived
This was the first time a diver was injured while dispaying the then new never tested red and white diver's flag
Of course there was litigation.
I was summoned as the first and only "expert witness" to testify as to the history, acceptance and use of the Red & White Divers flag. An awesome responsibility
But
We prevailed, the Red and White Divers flag was recognized for the first time any where in a court of law as the Unofficial but Recognized flag of recreational diving.

Over the years I have consulted and or appeared as a professional witness on numerous cases involving the divers flag, Most notable was in 1988 when an individual declared ownership of the divers flag and was going to demand a royalty for it sale and use. After 18 long months the judge declared the flag to be in the public domain

Part two September 22, 2014
I received an early morning telephone call from Carol Merker wife of Ron Merker, My best friend and diving companion of fifty good years, Ron had just passed away at the age of 82.
Ron and I met after service in the Korean war and became immediate diving buddies and social friends. His passing, although expected, was a huge blow to me and a big loss to the diving world.
Recreational diving was a fledgling endeavor in the 1940s when we both began diving long before the introduction of Cousteau's bubble machine and all the current official accruements of diving . We were first spearfishermen later became LA County & NAUI instructors and often team taught. Possibly the most famous student was the author Clive Cussler who carries Ron's LA Co certification and my NAUI certification. However, Ron's most famous student was certified in 1969 --our own @Dr. Bill who never used a SPG or BC but somehow slipped through Ron's course and began diving after God filled up the ocean with salt water
Ron was a dear friend who will always be missed by me and the many whose lives he touched

Part three September 22 Every year....

Is also my birthday

Sam Miller,111

'@EastEndDiver
Thanks for the greeting...My birthday cake looked like a bond fire ...
I suspect the important part of the thread is the defense of the divers flag over 50 plus years ago

Sam Miller,111

Part one Divers flag September 22

(In the September 1957 edition of "Skin Diver magazine; a magazine for spear fishermen and skin divers," Ted Nixon, proposed a flag to identify recreational diving activities..This flag became the Red and White Divers flag

September 22 1962

Darrell Toso was diving in the protected cove at "Long point " Catalina Island California. Little did he realize when he began the dive that when he surfaced from this dive would it become a historical event.
A 40 foot boat was bearing down on his surface float and divers flag . He surfaced near the float was struck and severely injured as his flag a float which were also struck and shredded by the churning of the boats propeller,
Though a series of miraculous events he was rushed to the Avalon Hospital for treatment - He lost the use of his left arm and much of the back muscular tissue was damaged beyond repair - but he survived
This was the first time a diver was injured while dispaying the then new never tested red and white diver's flag
Of course there was litigation.
I was summoned as the first and only "expert witness" to testify as to the history, acceptance and use of the Red & White Divers flag. An awesome responsibility
But
We prevailed, the Red and White Divers flag was recognized for the first time any where in a court of law as the Unofficial but Recognized flag of recreational diving.

Over the years I have consulted and or appeared as a professional witness on numerous cases involving the divers flag, Most notable was in 1988 when an individual declared ownership of the divers flag and was going to demand a royalty for it sale and use. After 18 long months the judge declared the flag to be in the public domain

Part two September 22, 2014
I received an early morning telephone call from Carol Merker wife of Ron Merker, My best friend and diving companion of fifty good years, Ron had just passed away at the age of 82.
Ron and I met after service in the Korean war and became immediate diving buddies and social friends. His passing, although expected, was a huge blow to me and a big loss to the diving world.
Recreational diving was a fledgling endeavor in the 1940s when we both began diving long before the introduction of Cousteau's bubble machine and all the current official accruements of diving . We were first spearfishermen later became LA County & NAUI instructors and often team taught. Possibly the most famous student was the author Clive Cussler who carries Ron's LA Co certification and my NAUI certification. However, Ron's most famous student was certified in 1969 --our own @Dr. Bill who never used a SPG or BC but somehow slipped through Ron's course and began diving after God filled up the ocean with salt water
Ron was a dear friend who will always be missed by me and the many whose lives he touched

Part three September 22 Every year....

Is also my birthday

Sam Miller,111

Sam,

Why was there a need a need to invent a new flag? Did the current blue/white one not exist? If it didn't why was there a need to invent the blue/white one and confuse the heck outta everyone forever?

This is most perplexing.

Cliff

If it didn't why was there a need to invent the blue/white one and confuse the heck outta everyone forever?

The Alpha flag existed long before the Diver-Down flag.

The blue and white Alpha flag meant "underwater operations, unable to maneuver" when the red and white flag was introduced. Keep in mind that divers were surface-supplied working close to the ship until a decade or so earlier. It could also include non-diving operations that prevented normal "rules of the road" maneuvering for approaching vessels. The alpha flag would have very little meaning on a diver's float or even on a small boat.

Cliff,
We wanted and unique flag one that represents the then infant sport of "skin diving" The Blue and white flag existed but was not in common usage by the powers ...only recently did the blue and white flag emerge as a symbol of diving'

We divers wanted a very unique distinctive flag-- one like no other. It was a herculean task -- just google flags of counties and then international maritime flags -- the dive flag was created long before the internet or google

Many designs were suggested and the familiar red & white flag was adapted in 1960
Interesting note -- its original color was blaze (neon) orange, same color as the currently popular T & sweat shirts. I think I have the last remaining blaze orange dive flag .

May I suggest you hop over to a new post Why the red and white divers flag ? and read my response. I ate nasty pills this morning---off to work out them the beach

Sam Miller
PS We harvested and have as a part of our home decors number of Tridacna shells--One is huge - 3 feet across and a number of others down to about 6 inches across. All collected long before most on this board parents were born sdm

It'd a privilege for me to have you two gentlemen answer my question.

I understand why there was a need a need to distinguish between commercial underwater work and recreational divers. Thus the red/white in California and then the rest of the USA. Why did the rest of the world stay with the blue/white? Is there another flag that indicates UW operations in the US? If so, how is that indicated? Do commercial diving ops have another flag?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom