Sep. 22 Bohol pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
site.png

clowns1.jpg

lion.jpg

sweetlips.jpg

mantis.jpg

clowns2.jpg

sponge.jpg

butterfly.jpg

nudi.jpg

Beautiful photos, as usual! I really like the sweetlips picture.

Excellent series.

I am always wonderfully surprised at the quality of your pictures. Thanks.

Jim, I am still surprised each time I look at a new set of pictures from your collection. The quality just seems to get better and better.
Have you decided on a new camera yet or are you going to just buy a replacement G10?
I've been doing this U/water photography thing for 37 years now and I'm absolutely stunned at the quality of image I can get from a A$500 P&S camera. No wonder my Hasselblads are sitting in the case collecting dust!

Peter

Jim, I am still surprised each time I look at a new set of pictures from your collection. The quality just seems to get better and better.
Have you decided on a new camera yet or are you going to just buy a replacement G10?
I've been doing this U/water photography thing for 37 years now and I'm absolutely stunned at the quality of image I can get from a A$500 P&S camera. No wonder my Hasselblads are sitting in the case collecting dust!
Peter

First, thank you for your compliments on my photos.

My current plans are:
1. When I return to Maui in two more months the first thing I will do is send my G10 to Canon for repair. Hopefully they can repair it. It still is working off and on. It stayed on during yesterdays dive with no "all white photos"?
2. If Canon repairs it I will probably look for a used G10 as a backup, depending on prices.
3. If my G10 can't be repaired I will not replace it with a G11 or G12. I will get an S90 or S95 (maybe 2) and a Canon housing.
4. Even if my G10 is repaired I may just get an S90 or S95 as a backup instead of a second G10.

The S90 and S95 has a 2.0 lens versus the 2.8 on the G10 and G11 and probably the G12. That 2.0 lens comes in very handy for those non-strobe deeper depth photos. I am content with a point and shoot that has RAW capability for what I do.
Another advantage to the S90 and S95 is you can use it without an external strobe without the housing lens tunnel causing a dark area on the bottom portion of the photo as with the G10 and G11.

When, not if :shocked2:, my strobes decides to quit while here in the Philippines I would be left with a G10 (or two), G11 or G12 using the internal strobe which doesn't do the job because of the lens tunnel restriction previously mentioned.
If I had an S90 or S95 the loss of the external strobe is not as much of an issue as the lens tunnel does not interfere with the internal strobe photos as it is not as long since those cameras have less zoom than the G series.
Buying and/or importing camera gear, along with other items, is in my opinion much too expensive in the Philippines due to the 12% VAT + import tariffs, the latter of which have no consistency from my experiences.

Decisions, decisions. It seems I am heading in the direction of less gear than doing what most others do by heading towards DSLR :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom