Semi-Wing, Independent Harness, Hybrid (not travel) BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BattleshipTexas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Howdy. I’m looking to buy a BC for recreational diving in warm, ocean water. While researching them I came across a video review of the TUSA Conquest II and am intrigued by the “hybrid” design which is purported to combine the trim of a back inflate while under the water and the relaxed posture of a jacket while on the surface. Since then I have seen others refer to this design type as a semi-wing or a jacket with independent harness. I would much appreciate help identifying other models that try to combine the best of both and any feedback people on the specific models.

Thanks,

Wesley

Highly recommend you at least test dive a backplate and wing, with someone that can properly fit one too you,

I definitely don't like the looks of that bcd,

(Correct answer for me is a backplate and wing)

Have a look at this, very informative

I am not sure how this BCD would be anything else than an elaborate jacket style BC. The bladder wraps around just like any other jacket-style BC. Besides, ask yourself this: how would a 'back-inflate' BC (which it really isn't, IMO) support you at the surface other than with additional wrap-around inflation? That's a contradiction.
If you want a real back-inflate BC with a padded, quick-release harness, pockets, integrated weights, etc. have a look at... oh wait. All back-inflate BCs have no real pockets, because there is nothing on the waist to put the pockets on. There are some back-inflate BCs with integrated weights at the waist, but none of them have really big pockets.
I am not saying you should dive backplate and wing. There are quite nice ACTUAL back-inflate BCs out there. But the Tusa Conquest II isn't one of them. It isn't back-inflated as far as I can tell.

I would not want that BCD for several reasons:
1. It is not really a back inflate, no matter what it claims.
2. The weight pocket system means it is really expensive if you lose a pocket.
3. It is not a 'standard" inflator, so cannot easily be replaced or rebuilt if you have a problem on a trip. Note that the inflator is the part of a BCD that is most likely to give you problems....
4. It has far more buoyancy than you need, hence more drag and bulk and weight.
5. It is heavy.
6. It is expensive.

What I worry about with "hydrid" bladder designs is that with such an unusual shape, could air get trapped in certain areas.

Many BCDs made today are that style. Basically if the part over the chest is just a harness and the waist air cell is only a few inches tall, then most manufacturers consider it a hybrid.

Scubapro Hydros Pro is probably what you're looking for but just get a BP/W. I have both and prefer the simplicity of the latter.

Howdy. I’m looking to buy a BC for recreational diving in warm, ocean water. While researching them I came across a video review of the TUSA Conquest II and am intrigued by the “hybrid” design which is purported to combine the trim of a back inflate while under the water and the relaxed posture of a jacket while on the surface. Since then I have seen others refer to this design type as a semi-wing or a jacket with independent harness. I would much appreciate help identifying other models that try to combine the best of both and any feedback people on the specific models.

Thanks,

Wesley
I would look at the Dive Rite Hydro Lite. I would replace the bottom velcro tank strap with a standard tank strap. HydroLite BC - Dive Rite

It does not look like the OP is responding to this thread. First/last post Nov 5, 2021. But if the OP is still viewing I'll throw in my 2 cents. I started with a Sherwood Avid, a supposedly "hybrid" bcd, followed by a Zeagle Covert back inflate, and now in a HOG bp/w. Wish I had started with the end product.

Back
Top Bottom