Semi dry suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HPT3

Reaction score
I've dove wet and I've dove dry. What is semi-dry and are they suitable for cold water diving? (45 degrees or so) One still gets semi-wet? Yes.

Semi-dry is nothing more than a wetsuit with better seals around the arms, feet and neck, occasionally a zip.

You WILL still get soaked just the flushing effect is minimised so the warm water stays longer.

People ive heard recommend not using a semi below about 10c.

Its not just the cold water, its the cold surface interval that has to be dealt with.

I have a Dacor semi-dry that I used for several dives last winter.

It was 7mm in the torso (for warmth), 5 mm in the extremities (for flexibility) and 1mm on the seals

I was pretty comfortable in it diving in water temps in the high 40's to low 50's for roughly 45 minutes at a time.

Now that I've ponied up the money for a drysuit tho, I don't see myself using it too much anymore.

Fit will be very important, because if it leaks to badly you lose all the benefits of it.

...is a semi dry suit. I have good luck with mine most of the time, but usually have some water either leak in or condense on the inside in cold weather.

We were diving a month ago in Higgins Lake, here in Michigan. Dave and I in dry suits, and a new friend in a semi-dry. He was careful when he suited up, and we made a 30 minute dive to about 50' in the 44 degree lake water. When we got out, he was dry from the knees up! Said that his feet were freezing, but the skin he had on under his suit was dry to the touch! So some semi-dry suits are really dry suits on shorter dives. Problem was getting dressed on the beach after the dive, as the temp was around 25 degrees and there was a breeze blowing. We were happy to hit the bar and find a hot drink and some food after that dive.

Hi Tom. Its me, Scott.

I'm the friend Tom was talking about. What Tom says about me and my semi-dry is mostly true. After getting out of the top half of the suit after the dive, the skin I had on underneath felt and looked dry. I think part of the reason I felt dry was because I lost some feeling in my fingers after five minutes on shore in 25° weather. :) The SI will kill you in that weather.

I may not have been *dry*, but I wasn't soaking wet. The water transfer was minimal. I was more comfortable on the dive I did that day in the Mares Millenium than I was two weeks earlier in the same lake at 50°, 50' for 35 minutes in a two piece farmer john wetsuit. I was starting to shiver at the end. (I am the sort of person who gets cold easily too. Thin, very little fat to keep me warm.) My feet would have been warmer if I had the right boots. I've got'em now.

Just how hardy are you in that semi-dry? Dave and I are headed down to Gilboa on Saturday, 3 January for a couple dives to begin the new year (weather permitting). You want to join us? Water won't be much colder than Higgins Lake was, and they have a warm place to dress and undress (unlike the beach at Higgins Lake).

Drop me a PM if you are interested and I'll send along what details I have. Dave and I are meeting for lunch tomorrow (Thursday) in Flint to discuss it and look over my photos from the Keys. You are welcome to join us for that too!

Back
Top Bottom