seized outboard??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spray some wd40 into the spark plugs,put a ratchet on the flywheel nut on top of the motor and give it a yank. Sometimes the gas will get down in the cylinders after sitting for a while and lock the motor up,leave the sparkplugs out when you try to free it up. Goodluck.

You can take off the head, so you can see into the cylinders, use penetrating oil, get a micarta cylinder of the same size as the cylinder bore, and gently tap the cylinder heads (after they have been soaking for a while-at least overnight), AFTER GENTLY TAPPING, add more penetrating oil and let that soak, try for a couple of days...Good luck!

Yes.

Did it seize from sitting or seize in operation?

In either case it needs to be pulled apart, decarboned, honed to break the cylinder glaze etc.

N

How much would something like that cost if I can't figure it out my self??? Not sure when it seized the boat has been sitting for a some time, but I am not sure if it was sitting because it seized. Basically I am looking at a boat that is for sale. The hull is in good shape and its CHEAP. I am trying to figure out if it is worth the price and/or the hassle. What do you think? its an 18' center console with 70hp evinrude(seized) engine is prob. late 70's early 80's.

What kinda boat, what kinda shape, what kinda trailer???? Dead motor---the engine is a give away----it don't run, it is not worth anything to me. Bid for the hull and trailer only.

N

How much would something like that cost if I can't figure it out my self??? Not sure when it seized the boat has been sitting for a some time, but I am not sure if it was sitting because it seized. Basically I am looking at a boat that is for sale. The hull is in good shape and its CHEAP. I am trying to figure out if it is worth the price and/or the hassle. What do you think? its an 18' center console with 70hp evinrude(seized) engine is prob. late 70's early 80's.

If the engine wont turn over or move at all, assume it's going to be a total loss and don't factor that into the price of the boat.

If they are willing to sell the boat cheap and throw the engine in to the deal for little or nothing, great.

As others stated, take the plugs out and try pouring some WD-40, transmission fluid, or Marvel Mystery Oil into the spark plug holes. Allow it to sit for 24 hours and then try moving the crankshaft back and forth.

Depending on what caused it to seize and how badly it may be seized, it may or may not be worth the trouble to rebuild.

The engine might clean up and run like a top, who knows, how much do you feel like paying for an old engine that won't even turn over. N

Ask the current owner about what happened. Was it running, then seized after sitting, or did the engine seize then they never had it fixed? If it was the latter, the powerhead will be toast. If the former, pull the spark plugs out and put some penetrating spray in through the holes.

Try to tilt the engine to get the oil closer to all of the rings. Give the oil a few days to work, then start working the crankshaft a little bit at a time. Even getting it to move a few degrees is a start. Then keep working until you get it to turn all the way over.

If it happened while they were under power, it'd probably be cheaper to find another powerhead or whole engine. If the pistons are seized because of lack of lubrication and need replacing anyway, pool acid (muriatic/hydrochloric acid) will clean up the metal transfer from the cylinder walls. A little bit goes a long way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom