Seiko inside your divecomputer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sierrakilo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

I am writing an article about the history of divecomputers, and in doing research I came across an interesting post from back in 2008 on a forum for watchgeeks.

Some Curious Information About Seiko Dive Computers...

In any case, here's what the post say:
----

I was visiting one of New York's bigger dive shops wanting to see what they might have by way of dive watches (don't laugh, sometimes they have some nice ones laying around). There wasn't much by way of watches, but there were plenty of dive computers, so off i went to see was was available. These guys were not an aqualung dealer, so there were no Suuntos (but those could be found a couple of blocks away). Anyhoot, as with many prior times there were any number of wrist computers but no seikos. on a whim I asked the seller why that was and he had never heard of a seiko dive computer, so off we went to speak to the store owner, whose been doing this ****ck for ages. He started laughing and said, take another look at the case. Apparently a very good chunk of wrist-top dive computers out there, despite the brand written on them, are made by Seiko.

we are talking about wrist-top computers from Dive Rite, Tusa, Cressi, Xtender, Apeks, ScubaPro, Zeagle and (at least according to the store owner)............ some Suunto models!?!?!?!

Now while I have found no evidence indicating that any Suunto products are made by Seiko, oddly enough I found plenty of evidence confirming that sure enough Seiko does manufacture lots of dive computers for all the other brands mentioned above, some of which are more capable than seiko's own brand products and most of which sell for less (sometimes considerably less) than seikos own.

So now you know. the next time you wonder were all the Seiko dive computers are, you'll be happy in the knowledge that they're all around you, but hiding.
----

Does anyone know if Seiko is still quietly doing OEM production for some of these companies? I cannot seem to find much info online. Any insights you may have is appreciated!

Best regards,
Soren

Hi
Yes Seiko was a provider for a lot of companies "making" computers. Nothing new about that as it was an open secret.
As for now, I really don't know but I suppose that with the easy availability of cheap electronic components, more companies must be providing already made computer and that these are sold under different brands like the D6 and the Crest and so on.
It would interesting to know the position of Seiko within the dive computer segment right now.
Good research :)

i think seiko bailed on the dive computer business. haven't seen a new model made by them in a while.

I believe the biggest dive computer OEM manufacturer today is Pelagic Pressure Systems. It used to be in the same corporate group as Oceanic, but since 2015 part of Aqualung.

They also sold under their own name some diving watches with dive computer abilities. They were available in Europe in the 90's. Some surface on Ebay from time to time, prices are usually silly.

Have a look :

Vintage Seiko M795-5A00 Scuba Diver's 200M Diver Dive Watch | eBay

SEIKO SCUBA DIVER´S 200 COMPUTER, VINTAGE OVER SIZE 48MM M796-5A00 JAPAN | eBay

* RARE * NOUVEAU * SEIKO M705-5A1A SCUBA DIVER'S 200 M scubamaster Depth Meter Watch | eBay
I have one of the watches in the third link you give. It is not a dive computer, that is, it does not track nitrogen. However, it does operate per the US Navy dive tables, tracking depth and time, which is interesting.

I have one of the watches in the third link you give. It is not a dive computer, that is, it does not track nitrogen. However, it does operate per the US Navy dive tables, tracking depth and time, which is interesting.

Right some where a bit limited, but some are true dive computers. have a look at the user manual here. :wink:

Attachments

• SEIKO_DH33.pdf
    815 KB · Views: 147
Seiko watches are a hobby of mine. I have a big beautiful 6309- 7040 dive watch that I've had since the 70s. Extremely accurate, but it doesn't go in the water anymore. I dive with a 7136 Seiko, about 25 years old. Terrific dive watch. I've been tuning and timing my mechanical watches during this semi-housebound period in NJ, and just completed a neat old Seiko Bell Matic alarm wristwatch from the late 60s. It actually has a tiny hammer and bell. I've got it to within only 15 seconds fast each 24 hours, not bad for a 52 year old Seiko.

they used to make the zeagle n2ition and dive rite nitek trio, but those are both discontinued. i haven't seen an actual dive computer from seiko in a while. they still are very active in the dive watch and bottom timer segments. the orange monster is a great option for an iso 200m diver.

they used to make the zeagle n2ition and dive rite nitek trio, but those are both discontinued. i haven't seen an actual dive computer from seiko in a while. they still are very active in the dive watch and bottom timer segments. the orange monster is a great option for an iso 200m diver.

Those were marketed on different names and brands : Cressi Archimede, Apeks Quantum... It had happened before : the Dive Rite Nitek (original version, bright yellow with 2 green buttons) was later sold under Seac Sub brand (blue design). If I'm not very much mistaken it shared the same software as the computer/watch which manual I've uploaded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom