Seen at Salt Pier: Moray Eel Bites Large Filefish, Swallows It in One Piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nippurmagnum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Warning: viewer discretion is advised.

I was in Bonaire the third week of January, and was doing a lovely night dive at Salt Pier. Towards the end of my dive, I realized that a moray eel that was actively hunting by my lights. The moray spotted a large filefish seemingly asleep right above a coralhead, sneaked up under it, and after a few seconds, bit its tail. Then the moray rolled to the bottom, dragging the filefish down, and got the head of the fish in its mouth. The moray proceeded to swallow the entire fish in one piece.

WMrFYTVDuWHphT6lMKw4V6lc1TKqWe8AjXo33bMj9bddwwu26rvLvo1Ay9MgFEeVxV4TgGxXDdAykSyLb=w1880-h1410-no.jpg

dUUfkaU7c1BdVpOaU3eQTXMQ3k0MXiG6oIJp3DRNclHnjPFp3N-GyE78kKoEekiy1H7AzIp_wyrx0X-dF=w1880-h1410-no.jpg

vXoHM3f4arxUqu7w397ahhV8ZZnS-2TFHIIGGwM8_plG44ajuvyMZgMIH80O-bVb-y9TKV6JbmCP-FCZ2=w1880-h1410-no.jpg

J-F26-hRm9jo7IXSKuYV-JxJvPjTEEHh6CdZZDMxTb8oZqydBM0ZJWR6DZe3R8oBmn0Eeh7f5ZaW9h8kU=w1880-h1410-no.jpg

SRKPI-gBTJB-6FG6Y-jrRsevy5PiwLcv5xgtuuAbXC--UUjRLx_Kf-jvzQl3UUBFEvpruprvTXEaZ1BwY=w1880-h1410-no.jpg

This would have been infinitely better as video than as still shots, but as luck would have it, my memory card had nearly filled up right before the moray attacked, and it was all I could manage to shoot some stills. The moray's contortions with the struggling filefish kicked up a lot of sand, but I haven't Photoshopped these at all (yet).

Just wow. So cool to be there to see (and capture) it. That last shot is a winner!

Thanks for sharing.

- K

Nice sequence of shots. Witnessing nature in action is always thrilling.

Good job.

I have a video of a moray hunting a lobster, in daylight, on Bonaire from two trips ago...will have to dredge that video up......I know....pics, or it didn't happen!

Great photos- I saw that Moray both times I dived Salt Pier the last 2 weeks. What a great experience you had to witness that.

Here is a pic I took of him/her:
upload_2020-2-3_16-15-8.png

Great photos- I saw that Moray both times I dived Salt Pier the last 2 weeks. What a great experience you had to witness that.

Here is a pic I took of him/her:
View attachment 565967

Too bad we didn’t run into each other in Bonaire!

I have no idea how common it is for morays to eat something as large as a filefish, and to swallow it whole. But it it was rather brutal to watch, and it definitely changed my perception of morays. I used to think of them as lethargic. Not anymore.

I saw a big moray chase lobsters once, so I imagine it’s common for them to eat large prey. They must have some serious bite pressure to chomp on a lobster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom