Seen any Manta rays in Cayman recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roombaguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just saw this on the Cayman News Service.
I have never seen one of these :-(

--------------------------

DoE calls on divers to send in Manta snaps

Posted on Tue, 07/13/2010 - 12:08 in Science and Nature

(CNS): Since the Department of Environment began its Manta Ray sighting programme two years ago 26 mantas have been reported by divers in Cayman Islands waters. A near threatened species, scientists still don’t know a great deal about Manta Rays and their populations or behaviour. As a result, the DoE is asking local divers to help with the research and to photograph any sightings of the marine creatures if the chance arises. This will contribute to the work going on to try and better understand the marine animals and their behaviour. Mantas (Manta birostris) are born at a size of about 4 feet and can grow to more than 20 feet and 3,000 lbs. (Photo by Tim Austin)
They feed mostly on plankton, do not have stinging spines, and pose no threat to humans. Females give birth to only one pup in each breeding season. Mantas are categorised as “near threatened” by the IUCN but little is known about the status of most populations.

“Researchers are even debating the number of manta species in the world’s oceans: are all mantas one species, or two, or maybe even more?” the DoE said in this month’s edition of its Marin Research News. “If you see a manta in Cayman try to photograph both the top and the bottom sides for ID.”

The experts ask divers not to chase or touch the animals but said colour patterns documented in the photos will help them identify manta species—and individuals—and be able to tell if animals are male or female depending on whether claspers like those on a stingray are seen.

“Cataloguing manta observations will also help us determine when and where these animals can be found and how they use our waters. We’re already starting to see patterns in sightings: for example, Ocean Frontiers staff have observed mantas in the same locations for several years,” the DoE added.

The DoE asks the public to report sightings of manta rays, whales, dolphins, sharks, large turtles (more than 3 feet shell length) and other large marine animals to their sightings database and asks, where possible, for spotters to include photos. For more information, join the Facebook group “Sharks & Cetaceans: the Cayman Islands”.

To read more about the marine work going on at DoE log on to the website or to be added to the DoE newsletter email list contact DoE@gov.ky

The DoE wil also be holding a meeting in East End this evening regarding the proposed National Conservation Law at the East End Community Centre at 7pm.

Cayman Islands News

I saw one recently at Turtle Reef on a night dive, just outside the cove entrance. About a year ago I saw one around High Rock near East End. Manta sightings are becoming fairly common here.

There used to be a very large one named Molly that would hang around Little Cayman. I never got to see her though. I have never seen one in Cayman, but saw a small one off Playa Del Carmen once.

We just got back from a trip to Grand Cayman and actually saw one at Pageant Reef!!! Jeanne got some pictures of it - Sunset Divers put them up on their blog. AMAZING!!

Back
Top Bottom