Seems I have a pinched thread on this valve.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
Usually I would right this off as a loss but since Its a Halcyon valve I'm gonna figure out a way to fix. Ideas? I am going to a local "tap and die" mechanic shop to see if the can fix.. if there is not an easier way.

Attachments

• IMG_2957.jpg
    IMG_2957.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 101
First time using one of those, recommended size? and TY

Thread files have 8 different thread pitches, one file for Metric, one file for SAE.

They are available from McMaster-Carr, and many other retailers.

You might be able to find them at a local auto parts store.

I don't really like thread files, they have a time and place,
in this case, patience and a small 3 cornered file will do the trick, (valve clamped in a bench vice )

FYI it will not be chrome right there after you're done, and for sure not if you use a die,

in this case, patience and a small 3 cornered file will do the trick, (valve clamped in a bench vice )

FYI it will not be chrome right there after you're done, and for sure not if you use a die,

I'm guessing that it would still be alright once it back in the cylinder though???

Considering it's brass, I might look around the shop for the right piece of steel, and try to stand it back up a bit, to minimize the filing.

Considering it's brass, I might look around the shop for the right piece of steel, and try to stand it back up a bit, to minimize the filing.
Exactly. You can probably get that thread to stand back up with a flat head screwdriver and some judicious levering and mallet work.

If you have to take it to someone, see if they have the right size hinged or split thread chaser. It gets clamped on above the damaged thread and wound off to restore the thread without removing metal.

If you feel like spending a little coin the die comes in handy for stuff like this. The tiny fleck of chrome you'll remove isnt structural.

The hex type die will fit in a vice. You can get a die in the 3/4" x 14 size easy breezy.

If you feel like spending a little coin the die comes in handy for stuff like this. The tiny fleck of chrome you'll remove isnt structural.

The hex type die will fit in a vice. You can get a die in the 3/4" x 14 size easy breezy.

3/4" x 14 is in the cart! TY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom