Seeking comments on SY June Hong Chian Lee "the Junk"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ycyc1999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My better half and I are interested in diving the Similian Islands this November and find SY June Hong Chian Lee interesting. When I tried to research the boat on this forum, results frequently show posts from a few dive operators/re-sellers raving about this boat. That actually made me wonder why they are pushing this boat so hard. We'd like to hear from people who have actually been on this boat (recently). Any experience you care to share would be much appreciated. We've been on a few liveaboards before (Peter Hughes in Papua New Guinea and Ocean Hunter III in Palau) and both are modern vessels with modern comforts. We know what to expect in general from such operations. How is the Junk different? How is the dive operation? Thank you very much!

Dive re-sellers and travel agents - please comment only if you really have personal diving experience with the charter and something in addition to it being "stunning" to say. Thanks.

The Junk really is a special experience, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time there en get pampered.

There is one other thing to consider with regards to the boat. It was built for other purposes, not specifically for diving. This means e.g. that you can not simply get of the diveplatform and go, because there is no platform, the diving is done from a dinghy/zodiac. No problem, just different. This also means there is e.g. no Nitrox available on the boat.

Hope this helps you a bit.

PS: the reason agents/resellers are pushing this boat is quite simple really. In the same class is a lack of other good value for money boats.

PS: the reason agents/resellers are pushing this boat is quite simple really. In the same class is a lack of other good value for money boats.

Totally agree with Steven. The Junk projects a majestic front with great atmosphere on board. The Tour leader, Divemasters and Crew are all friendly and knowledgeable and the Cook's meals are fantastic....both Thai and Western dishes. You will literally roll off the boat at the end of the cruise :wink:

The Junk anchors further out to sea away from all the other Liveaboard boats giving one more of a sense of tranquility. They use the dinghy to get to the sites.

Enjoy!

As a customer of the Junk in Feb this year, I cannot wait to get back on board! That boat has real character. Food is delicious, dives are so well planned (particularly around trying to avoid the the other liveaboard dive times). Its also an extra day longer than the others, so on the way back, i found we were the only boat around. Dive crew are fantastic, as are the boat crew. Its great fun, but there's so much room, you can always find somewhere to rest up. And putting the sails up on the return trip was great! I just loved, coming up from the water, seeing the other liveaboards, knowing i was getting back onto the Junk.

I would probably say being a much older boat it might not seem as luxurious as the Peter Hughes etc., but saftety, quality of guides, service etc it as great. Very relaxed and easy going, yet high quality detailed briefs, on time dives and safety is a priority. You will love the instructors.

Ok, so i love it!

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom