Seeking Belize advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texmaxdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi everyone,

Considering another trip to Belize in January. I've stayed on AC before and dove a weeks worth of sites in that area and also a day trip to Turneffe reef. On another trip, I stayed at Hamanasi for a week and did a day trip to Glovers Reef (amazing!) Also did a day trip to Caye Caulker, which I really loved.

Would love some recommendations on other areas to consider for this trip. Will need mid range or better accommodations and our travel companions need "reliable" wifi so they can check in on their business daily. I wanted to stay on Glover's but they are concerned about internet access out there.

Palancia sounds interesting- is there good diving nearby without hour+ boat rides? Have also done Roatan, should I assume the diving is similar?

Would love to see pelagics- where should I dive?

Thanks!
M

Consider staying at one of the resorts on Turneffe atoll. Closer to the better dive sites, which are only minutes away from the resorts. Blackbird Caye and Turneffe Island Resort have wifi, though it was slow when I was there. Turneffe atoll is also closer to the Blue Hole, which is overblown, but the other dives on the Blue Hole trips are great. I prefer Turneffe Island Resort because the service is great, and some of the people staying there are only fishing or snorkeling, and if you want to fish you have the option. I don't know anything about Turneffe Flats Resort.

We've stayed at Off the Wall on Glovers a few times. When we stayed there the internet was fair but very limited due to the contract they had. A quick e-mail to Kendra would let you know whether it would work or not. I wouldn't say the accommodations there are mid-range or higher however, which may take it out of the prospective list anyway. The cabanas are nice and very adequate, but very basic. It's all in what kind of experience you're looking for I guess. We'd go back in a heart beat.

Turneffe Island Resort facilities are more upscale, service is great, and diving is close. The times we stayed there I thought the internet was very good and reliable. it was fast enough to Skype home and many guests used it for wifi calling (I'm not familiar with that). Use wasn't limited, but I think staff and business use slowed it down a little during the day, no issues in the evening. TIR also makes the airport transfer thing painless and larger boats make for an easy transfer to/from the island.

Great suggestions! The Turneffe resorts sound amazing, unfortunately it's probably out of our price range for this trip. Off The Wall sounds fun too, but I don't think I can convince our travel companions the wifi is sufficient.

My last 10 or so trips have been to Cozumel. It's become a habit, fortunately and unfortunately at the same time. I'm surprised at the prices compared to what I typically pay in Cozumel which is $1500 for mid range accommodations with AC, breakfast included and 5 days of 2 tank dives included. I had it in my head that Belize would be similarly priced, perhaps I'm just incorrect.

You've already done the north, AC, and the south, Hopkins. Placencia is a lot like Hopkins except there are more places to stay with a wider range of prices. I'm not sure you would find the diving from Placencia all that different from what you did with Hamanasi though. If you elect to go to Placencia, I'd recommend Splash Dive Center. Ralph and Patty run an excellent operation and Patty can help you with accommodations. They go to Glovers on a regular basis.

The resorts on the atolls would be a different experience but it sounds like they're beyond your budget. You can get on their mailing lists and keep an eye out for specials. TIR runs a fair amount of 2 for 1 deals at any given time. They're are a couple of resorts on the atolls that are easier on the wallet but their accommodations and service reflect that. Not sure about their wi-fi or if they even have it. One of these days I'm going to remember to make a list.

You might give some consideration to going even further south to Punta Gorda. There's only one dive op that operates there, Garbutt's Marina. You would be a long ways from the reef, but they can take you to a place they have on a caye out there. They have several cabanas and a triplex at the marina that are very nice, budget friendly and the wi-fi is excellent. I've stayed there many times. Dennis Garbutt would be the person to contact.

Hi everyone,

Considering another trip to Belize in January. I've stayed on AC before and dove a weeks worth of sites in that area and also a day trip to Turneffe reef. On another trip, I stayed at Hamanasi for a week and did a day trip to Glovers Reef (amazing!) Also did a day trip to Caye Caulker, which I really loved.

Would love some recommendations on other areas to consider for this trip. Will need mid range or better accommodations and our travel companions need "reliable" wifi so they can check in on their business daily. I wanted to stay on Glover's but they are concerned about internet access out there.

Palancia sounds interesting- is there good diving nearby without hour+ boat rides? Have also done Roatan, should I assume the diving is similar?

Would love to see pelagics- where should I dive?

Thanks!
M
Not to change the subject, but what did you think of Hamanasi? How is the beach itself? How is the resort? How big is the resort?

Back
Top Bottom