Seeking advice, what would you do.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ntmainstrm

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yikes! After house fire, because of smoke damage? insurance will replace Mk2/R190, Mk20/G250, Mk25/C600. Would you replace with same? Pay for an upgrade from 600 to 700? Upgrade the 20 to 25? I used the Mk2 set for pool stuff but bought the G250 set cheap off of CR and never used it. Does it breath better than a 600? Would you make one 20 or 25 DIN only to dive with Aldora? I'm not a TEC diver as yet but before the fire I was becoming pretty active as a diver, well as active as a very income limited Coloradan can get.

Ins. company will pay almost nothing if I don't replace them but will pay the full ride if I do.

Yes! I pinched myself and I'm not dreaming!

So! What would you do!

Lee

Very sorry you had a house fire!

Were your regulators actually burned? As in destroyed? If it is only "smoke damage" a good cleaning during a service should salvage them.

Having said that, and assuming the insurance is talking replacement value... you might need to replace them with the current equivalent models in Scubapro's lineup. It seems that would be easiest for an insurance claims adjuster to approve. You can explain that the Mk20/G250 is no longer produced, and show the claims adjuster what the replacement for that regulator is, and the same goes for the Mk25 and Mk2 combos.

Or, if the insurance company is not specifying an exact replacement of what was lost, you have lots of great options.

Deciding on where you think you are going with your diving in the near future is a good start. Going "tech"? Start thinking about a doubles set, with a third set for a deco bottle. DIN is the way to go if you are certain that is where you are headed.

Think you will remain a recreational diver? Then yoke type 1st stages are fine, and actually preferable since most recreational dive destinations have more yoke than DIN type tanks.

Have fun with whatever you choose.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom