Seeking a new Regulator and BC for international travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humboldt

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am getting back into Scuba Diving and need some new gear for international travel. Any advice on makes/models to investigate with a budget of $750.00 for both regulator and BC?

Cressi has their Travelight ($360) plus several regs that price between $250-400. Check Leisurepro.com

Or last years Zeagle Covert - a travel bc that rolls up small - for $275. Zeagle Covert BCD
Their Base jacket model - the name is descriptive of the fteatures - is $317. Or push the budget a little for their Express Tech Deluxe, a modular soft backplate design at $385. It's probably my next purchase.

A Scubapro Lighthawk is $395.

An Aqualung Titan is $360 - leaving $140 for gauges and an octo - that's almost possible. Mares has a cheap octo - the MV which is bi-directional (has a swivel) Not the best breather but works for the price - my buddy had one for a while. It's $90. A Cressi XS octo is $75.

An Apeks AT20 is $385, that may be their entry-level model. A Scubapro MK2/R195 EVO is $395 - EVO means it's good in cold water also. That design with upgrades has been around since the 60's.

If you can push the budget a little, an Atomic Aquatics Z2 is $439. Effortless breather, 2yr/300 dive service interval and it breathes the same as their $1600 T3 - the difference is the metals used.

Cressi or Tusa both sell a 2 gauge set in a small console for $115.The Cressi is a mini so smaller for travel.

all these prices are from Leisurepro which has free shipping. But check other online resellers like scubatoys.com or diverightinscuba.com, diversupply.com or sometimes diversdirect.com has a sale.

Cressi has their Travelight ($360) plus several regs that price between $250-400. Check Leisurepro.com

Or last years Zeagle Covert - a travel bc that rolls up small - for $275. Zeagle Covert BCD
Their Base jacket model - the name is descriptive of the fteatures - is $317. Or push the budget a little for their Express Tech Deluxe, a modular soft backplate design at $385. It's probably my next purchase.

A Scubapro Lighthawk is $395.

An Aqualung Titan is $360 - leaving $140 for gauges and an octo - that's almost possible. Mares has a cheap octo - the MV which is bi-directional (has a swivel) Not the best breather but works for the price - my buddy had one for a while. It's $90. A Cressi XS octo is $75.

An Apeks AT20 is $385, that may be their entry-level model. A Scubapro MK2/R195 EVO is $395 - EVO means it's good in cold water also. That design with upgrades has been around since the 60's.

If you can push the budget a little, an Atomic Aquatics Z2 is $439. Effortless breather, 2yr/300 dive service interval and it breathes the same as their $1600 T3 - the difference is the metals used.

Cressi or Tusa both sell a 2 gauge set in a small console for $115.The Cressi is a mini so smaller for travel.

all these prices are from Leisurepro which has free shipping. But check other online resellers like scubatoys.com or diverightinscuba.com, diversupply.com or sometimes diversdirect.com has a sale.

Dude that atomic Z2 at 439 before any sales is a steal in my book. I might buy one on the LDS next 25% off sale. add in environmental sealing...eh dont need it coldest i get is monterey at about 51 degrees worst case .... nice call on that

Dude that atomic Z2 at 439 before any sales is a steal in my book. I might buy one on the LDS next 25% off sale. add in environmental sealing...eh dont need it coldest i get is monterey at about 51 degrees worst case .... nice call on that
It really is. I have one as an octo on my T2 and can't tell the difference except the octo doesn't have the 2nd stage swivel.

If you want that on a Z2 - buy a Z3. The price difference is the cost of the hose. It's a really nice swivel also. And reliable - no leaks or anything in any position.

Check to be sure but I believe the Z3 designation means 3 years recommended service interval also - it does on their T3 model.

If there's a downside to Atomics it's that that seat saver will let water flow up the hose and into the 1st stage if not pressurized. So not the best for a pony.

I drape the hose over the faucet when soaking them longer. Or some people soak the 1st with the 2nd outside the sink.

Too open of a question. International travel really doesn't mean anything. Travel to where? What kind of diving will you be doing there?

Regulators with a DIN tank attachment would be a good choice, add a yoke to DIN adaptor and you are now universal.
Guessing (since it wasn't specified) you are after a first stage and a pair of second stages? What are your plans for gauges? Will this be part of the regulator budget or a next phase? All regs travel about the same. Same general size and weight.

BC can be excessively bulky for no good reason. Most of the backplate and wing packages dive great and pack to almost nothing. The backplates and be very minimal and light, usually aluminum but there is also carbon fiber (that will be out of your budget).

So lets take a few steps back, better define what you want, then focus in on that.

It really is. I have one as an octo on my T2 and can't tell the difference except the octo doesn't have the 2nd stage swivel.

If you want that on a Z2 - buy a Z3. The price difference is the cost of the hose. It's a really nice swivel also. And reliable - no leaks or anything in any position.

Check to be sure but I believe the Z3 designation means 3 years recommended service interval also - it does on their T3 model.

If there's a downside to Atomics it's that that seat saver will let water flow up the hose and into the 1st stage if not pressurized. So not the best for a pony.

I drape the hose over the faucet when soaking them longer. Or some people soak the 1st with the 2nd outside the sink.

nice tip on Z3 I was thinking about the swivel.

I have only used my T3 a couple times but I think the warnings said do not immerse fully in water. My apeks I would just let sit in a tub of water. Atomic warned against this it seems? Was that only due to the second stage? So you CAN immerse the 1st stage in a tub? Im not an engineer obviously, this is all greek to me. I sell products not make em ha.

The Atomic swivel hose is not worth it. Just buy a swivel and a normal hose for much less.

Z3 does NOT mean 3 year service. It means “Z2 + swivel hose”

Back
Top Bottom