Seeking 6 Pack License

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do a google search for "OUPV" and "maryland"....

It showed a match of 345 websites and surely at least one of them has to be good.......

You can also self study and take the tests at the nearest USCG MSO. It's half the money and twice the effort. I did my 25 GT Master through self study this past winter (as my winter project) and it was quite an academic endeavor. If you choose to self study let me know and I'll suggest the prep books and tools you will need.

I might also suggest you test for the "highest" license you are qualified for based on your documented sea service time. Don't bother with a 6-pack if you qualify for a 50GT Master for example. The "higher" licenses cover the "lower" licenses.

--Matt

Sea School is a great license trainer. I got my original 50 GT Master Near Coastal from them.

One thing to consider; I've had a lot of experience with people getting licenses for the wrong reasons. Only get it if you plan on using it professionally. Many times people get it strictly for the knowledge. This is fine, but as soon as you hit the water, the rules are completely different for you if you are licensed. If you get boarded, there are several differences just because you have a license. If someone wants the knowledge, I'd highly recommend a USCG Auxiliary Baoting class.

Now if you do plan on getting compensated in any way for your boating skills, knock yourself out. Sea School is great. Worldwide Marine is good too.

I got my six pack last summer via Sea School. The class itself was 2 full weekends (4-8 hour days) plus 5-4 hour sessions on the weeknights. I kind of liked the plotting but overall the course was one of the most boring things I've ever done.

Sea School writes their own approved exams and that cuts down on what you need to memorize. When all was said and done it probably ran about a grand. It takes about 3 months or so to actually receive your license after you submit your paper work.

If you decide to do the teach yourself route - or if you want to get an idea of what is on the USCG exam - you are welcome to my copy of Charlie Wing's "Get Your Captain's License" (for the cost of the shipping).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom