Secrets pier destroyed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JFS

Contributor
Reaction score
One casualty of this current storm. Secrets pier totally destroyed.
FB_IMG_1601751960234.jpg

Sad to see.
Hope all stay safe.
Hope the concrete piers don't get damaged.

Eva had some busted stuff at BA, even some concrete.

I think with all the misses, no one really thought this would be too bad.

I wonder if they pulled the planks on the Secret's pier or under estimated the storm and left them in place. It appears the decking was still on but the pictures are not that clear.
As an example on the Paradise pier each plank has a number carved in it. It leads to a lot of speculation as to the purpose. I have heard many Captains and DM's explain that this is so the planks can be removed for a storm and aids in reassembly. They go on to explain the most common danger to the piers is surge and surf coming up from under the decking and if removed the pilings can withstand a lot more surf.

Eva had some busted stuff at BA, even some concrete.

I think with all the misses, no one really thought this would be too bad.
And compared with Wilma or Gilbert, they were right. I am concerned about Coconuts, etc., though. With the eye passing to the south of the island, damage over there will be worse.

And compared with Wilma
Before Wilma, Blue Angel had a table & umbrella on an outcropping. I never saw anyone use it as it was a little precarious. After Wilma, that point was gone and the then owners said they had to clean a lot of rotting fish out of the then above ground swimming pool.

This is so sad! We always use this pier when staying at Residencias Reef. I have seen many weddings take place under the palapa and spent many evenings sitting on the end of Pier watching the sunsets. Many different moods, all beautiful memories.
IMG_0714.JPG
IMG_0734-2.jpg

Remember the questions of who actually owned it?

Somebody got 3 bucks a diver, a day. Should help fix it.

The port was open today and while a bit rough was not too bad. As has always been the policy of Aldora Divers and The Villa Aldora, those who missed a day of diving yesterday will not pay for their night at Villa Hotel and the divers, while not paying for dives they did not get will get free diving on their next available possibility which was today. The Ri-enforced concrete dock at the Villa suffered only two lashed down (Bumper) tires which have already between replaced.

Dave Dillehay

Back
Top Bottom