Secrets Aura

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me, I'm glad I went with an external op- I liked the personalized service and having the same DM everyday- though I didn't use Aldora, so I can't guide you that way.

Plus that Op of yours attracts a better, er...., class of patron....

1350483088.jpg

I got married at secrets last June and was blown away. Food was great at majority of restaurants and all liquor was great.
No complaints but then again we went all out.
dive parlance was good. All I'd like to see more of would be a package of X amount of dives for X amount of money. Only on one day did the divers have the option of choosing the dive sites.
but the dive service a as great and the diving even better.

Opinion only, over rated. We did Secrets maroma and capri on the mainland and they were very nice. On the island we logged the Palace, Aura and Sabor. We gave up AIs and went condo. Dont think I will do AIs again

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

I dove with Dive Plancar last May (stayed at a house just south of Secrets/Aura). I have no view on Secrets/Aura other than there were some good looking women, but I have something to say about Dive Palancar. On the second day of diving my buddy's Suunto Cobra conked out after spending the night in their dive shop. He had to rent one from Dive Palancar. The next day my HPG (simple Dive Rite_) went caput after a night in their shop. I had to rent one from Dive Palancar. That's two gauges in two days. Coincidence? Maybe. Did they store our stuff properly? Probably not.

We are looking to stay there this time. How did you upgrade to the preferred club? we basically want to be sure we get a nice room etc etc. i was trying to do it online but just cant figure it out. we want a swim up room so we can enjoy a cool down and go to the bar. very very excited!!!

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2014 at 08:57 PM ----------

ok so i just booked secrets, were going april 10-17.

We are looking to stay there this time. How did you upgrade to the preferred club? we basically want to be sure we get a nice room etc etc. i was trying to do it online but just cant figure it out. we want a swim up room so we can enjoy a cool down and go to the bar. very very excited!!!

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2014 at 08:57 PM ----------

ok so i just booked secrets, were going april 10-17.
Did you find the preferred club?

I just went to Secrets Resorts & Spas - Aura Cozumel, clicked on "Book Your Vacation" in the upper right, selected your dates, clicked "Room Only", and then was presented with a page of available room types. Scroll down to the see the preferred club offerings.

The only differences I noted in alcohol variety between the two is that the preferred club bar stocked Grey Goose and Crown Royal. I made sure to get my rusos blancos made with Grey Goose when I had my nightly nightcap to close out the preferred club lounge (they would quit around 9 pm IIRC), but the tequila selection there was the same as all the other bars. The preferred club lounge is open air, boasting a big screen and a pool table. Occasionally I'd chat with other guests and play a game of pool, but more often I'd be the only guest there and would chat with the bartender instead. It was a nice place for solitude, but since I was traveling alone I hardly needed more of that! IMO, the primary advantage of the preferred club upgrade is to secure a premium location: the preferred club rooms are closest to the ocean, which means they're closest to the dock and that was appreciated since I had to lug my camera back and forth each day (metal DSLR housing and port, big Ike strobes). My giant wrap-around corner balcony with stellar view of the pool and ocean was amazing.

As for the swim-up rooms, you might be disappointed as I don't believe they all front pools that connect to the swim-up bar and, at least when I was there, some TA reviews complained that they swim-up bar was frequently closed. There is someone walking around the pool closest to the preferred club rooms who takes drink orders and the bar is only steps away.

Thanks! I booked it thru orbitz, then I read up on the preferred club but since I booked it thru orbitz it told me to email the hotel directly. So I did, just waiting to hear from them. We stayed there years ago loved it the first time, then the 2nd time went there and stayed on the other side and didn't like it. Last 2 years stayed at occidental but they have changed owners and the dive shop we like moved to secrets, so we are going to give it a whirl again. My hubby likes jack daniels so maybe they will have that for him:wink:
I wanted to have a room with the little slide that takes me to the bar bc it sounds fun to sneak out at night!!! hehe!!
Thanks for the info. I emailed them to see what they say!!! I cant wait! This is like our 5 or 6th trip and I would totally move here if I could!

I definitely preferred Secrets over the Occidental. At the Occidental, I did the "Royal Club" upgrade mainly so I could make dinner reservations at the restaurants every night instead of doing the buffet. There, the upgrade did make a significant difference on the booze quality since the Royal Club restaurant/bar served premium tequilas and other liquors while the other bars mainly pushed generic swill, but the room was the same as all the other rooms in the resort AFAIK, just a little closer to the dock (still a very long walk lugging my heavy camera). My room at Secrets blew away the one I had at the Occidental. Huge, very recently remodeled, and a great ocean and pool view versus the funky little garden area at the Royal Club. Food at Secrets beat out the specialty restaurants at the Occidental, though there were still some inconsistencies.

I've never tried Dive Palancar. People seem happy with them as a resort operator, especially those who like coming back to the resort between dives, but I prefer a small boat op that uses bigger tanks for longer dives and still picks me up right at the dock. Price is a little more for the two-tank day, but when you compute how much I spend per minute of bottom time, it ends up cheaper than dive ops that limit dives to 45 minutes or so.

I also liked the fact that Secrets' restaurants would serve lunch until 3 pm. By the time I'd get back from my two long dives, rinse my camera and myself in the shower, and enjoy my two post-dive beers on the balcony while downloading my photos, it would usually be after 2 pm. At the Occidental, I really had to scramble to make it to the Royal Club restaurant for lunch before 2 pm, but Secrets let me relax and take my time.

We loved palancar while at occidental. We aren't like professional divers, we do it for fun a few times a year so were not real real picky on boat sizes or anything like that. However the times we went with them they weren't that full. But they were really really nice and helpful so we enjoyed them. Were so out of shape that we really don't need bigger tanks bc were exhausted from swimming (ha). I am very excited about lunch being served till 3, bc I am starving when I get back. Were ready to be there. SOOOOO ready

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom