second strobe - mix or match?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsafanda

Contributor
Reaction score
When I bought my housing I only purchased one strobe because I was already at the limit of what I could afford at the time. I have a Light&Motion Titan D100 with a Sea&Sea YS-90DX strobe. I'm ready to purchase a second but I'm unsure of the best path.

Am I simply better off getting the exact same strobe when pairing up or could I for example, pair my Sea&Sea strobe with an Inon strobe. I'm not sure what pitfalls and compatibility issues I should be looking out for. Any advice would be appreciated.

IMHO, I would recommend you match your existing strobe for the sake of simplicity and ease of operation. I go "brain dead" at depth and having to use two different strobes would tax my cognitive skills.

I would go with two similar strobes, too. Make sure to have a dual, and two single sync cords for redundancy. I usually run my two YS-90DXs from the dual cord attached to one bulkhead, keeping the second bulkhead as a backup in case the first one floods. If you go with a different second strobe, you may have to use a different pin configuration at the bulkhead attachment -- unless you're using the second only as a slave strobe, in which case you won't need a sync cord for it. I don't like using the second as a slave strobe b/c other divers' flashes will set it off and I'd rather not have to waste my batteries on that or have to wait for the strobe to recycle.

I do just the opposite. I use 2 single cords and carry a double for backup. There is no right way or wrong way....it's personnal preference.

I think 2 strobes alike makes sense as far as operating the same and minimizing the amount of o-rings & grease you have to carry.

Definitely the same strobes, it makes for even lighting.
And then if you want to get creative just turn power up or down on one or the other for different effects

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom