second hand trilaminate drysuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattDive92

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm going to buy my first trilaminate drysuit.
Actually I found a second hand DUI (you can see it in the photos) and they asked me 500 euros. The suit is 15 years old and was revised in 2019. Do you think is a good price?

The same seller has a SANTI E.LITE 450 with only 50 dives (it's new) and he asks 1000 euros.

What do you think about it?

Thank you for your advices

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200305_155421.jpg
    Screenshot_20200305_155421.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20200305_155440.jpg
    Screenshot_20200305_155440.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20200305_155459.jpg
    Screenshot_20200305_155459.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 86
Very questionable, but depends on what you mean by “revised” in 2019. I interpret that to mean serviced and the zipper replaced. The issue in my mind is that Trilaminate degrades over time, most common life expectancy is about 10 years, they can last longer if cared for right. I would be extremely hesitant to buy a 15 year old Trilaminate suit.

Get the Santi. No point getting a bargain if its lost its durability and will leak easily.

You may also consider some more economical new options that run about the same as the santi. Seaskin, based in the UK you can easily get a new made to measure suit for under 1000 euros, also Avatar, the bargain brand for santi should be able to be gotten for less than1000 as well, although those are not made to measure and i’m Not sure a good EU source for them.

Second the seaskin option. Fully outfitted and made to measure for less than 1000EUR. I'd pass on both of those used suits.

Hello everybody, I'm going to buy my first trilaminate drysuit.
Actually I found a second hand DUI (you can see it in the photos) and they asked me 500 euros. The suit is 15 years old and was revised in 2019. Do you think is a good price?

The same seller has a SANTI E.LITE 450 with only 50 dives (it's new) and he asks 1000 euros.

What do you think about it?

Thank you for your advices

Matt...

Absolutely...nothing wrong with a good used suit of any make...with ''good'' being the operative word...the DUI...which is the brand I have...is very dirty...which is an indication to me as to how the suit has been kept/maintained by the current owner...I'm of the opinion that ''anything'' being offered for sale...should be presented at its best...

As far as the Santi...my feeling is...it's too expensive...

Keep looking...as well as overall condition...pay close attention to the condition of the zipper./valves..make sure the suit fits you properly...too small will limit your movement as well as putting undue stress on the suit...too large...which is an all too often found condition...will result in all sorts of problems affecting your ability to properly evacuate the air out in order for you to become neutral...

Leak testing is a very simple process...ask the current owner to leak test the suit...with you being present...while you're doing your bubble check...you can kill two birds with one stone and wash the suit at the same time...pay close attention to any bubbles forming in crotch/armpits/both sides of knees/valves/shoulders/full length of zipper/boots/soft feet...also look for any DIY repairs...that may be in the process of failing...or inadequately performed...

I've attached a photo...when donned...your suit should fit like this...no wrinkles/creases/bunching...

Good luck in your search...

W.M...

DUI 222.jpg

Seaskin don't have all the nice features you want in a suit. The small things really make the suit IMO. A seaskin will not fit you as well as the cut isn't as tight and it is made of much thinner material, the sewing is definitely inferior to Santi. I have compared both in person.

If the Santi fits, no reason not to get it.

Dive the DUI and see if it fits. Verify that it doesn’t leak. If those 2 things are true and the seals and zipper are in good shape I would absolutely pay $500 for it. What model is it, CLX450?

Back
Top Bottom