Second Annual Cleanup in Marquette's Lower Harbor July 18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last year we removed 4 tons of tires and debris from our local harbor. This year we intend to remove just as much if not more. We have divers from throughout the midwest. I'm including a poster so I don't have to retype it all...
If you're interested in the event go to the FB page www.facebook.com/diverdonscuba
Scuba Don Poster20 2-26.jpg

Thanks Sam,

The cleanup has already been a success and I hope this will be the last year that we need to do something on this scale.
Our wonderful community really got behind this and if all goes well we'll have removed 90+% of the tires and crud in the harbor.
I think I'll miss it come this time next year. But that means it's time to switch gears and plant fish cribs and try to maintain a healthier environment here. The greatest of all Great Lakes should remain clean for generations to come. I'll keep posting as things progress.

DD

TV interview !
Another FANTASTIC!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Diverdon
A suggestion......
I was on the first Avalon, Catalina Island Clean up. organized by the late Lil Lancaster Lil was the wife of the late Captain Arnie Lancaster who discovered and dove the reef that bears his name ( Now both totally forgotten covered with the dust of time and a the creation of several generations of divers

As I recall it was 1969 or 1970 -49 - almost 50 years ago.
It was like diving into an archeological site
We salvaged bottles, pottery, trinkets of all shapes an d colors dating from 1970 to the very beginning of civilization on Catalina Island

We were there to clean up the harbor and clean up we did !
It was not a social even as todays event; there was no awards no recognition We were diving strictly to clean up all debris bag it and in mid channel toss it over board in 2000 feet of water--

So much history was lost that day

I sincerely hope you can enlist the expertise of local and state historians to review and evaluate evert piece of debris that is salvaged for historical its significance...Don't duplicate the mistakes we did 50 years ago in California during the very first underwater clean up

Good lick with your event

Sam
cc
@Ken Kurtis
@drbill

There will be representatives from the historical museum as well as the maritime museum on hand to help us with any questions or interesting finds, just in case the divers miss the part of the dive briefing informing them that removing artifacts of historical value is prohibited. The law is a bit vague, and it is geared more towards nautical items that are found in and around the docks and the wrecks in the harbor, so the occasional bottle or other artifact may or may not go home with the lucky diver.

@Diverdon
Another suggestion....
Next year in big bold letters rename the event

"Divers Don's Underwater clean up"
You should be given recognition and credit for the effort you have expended to make the UW clean up a success.

The years will thunder by- 10 --15---20 ---
The clean up could and possibly will have a life of its own
Become an annual event and a valuable local economic event

Diver Don and the Clean Up will all too soon be covered with the dust of history

Your name should be not forgotten and always be associated with the "Clean Up"
Next Year-- Diver Don's Underwater Clean Up

Sam Miller III

I've done underwater cleanups before but.. 4 TONS of tires? How in the world? Did a ship carrying tires capsize or something? How did you raise that much material?

Impressive.

The most I recall having been brought up during a cleanup I attended was close to 1/2 ton. I don't think that included the boat motor that was found.

I've done underwater cleanups before but.. 4 TONS of tires? How in the world? Did a ship carrying tires capsize or something? How did you raise that much material?

Impressive.

The most I recall having been brought up during a cleanup I attended was close to 1/2 ton. I don't think that included the boat motor that was found.

The video will give you an idea of the scope of the event. Tires were used as bumpers along the docks for 150+ years and when the ropes broke they fell in the lake and were abandoned. We received a grant through the DEQ last year and so decided to really take advantage of it. I bet we'll eat those numbers this year.

@Diverdon
Another suggestion....
Next year in big bold letters rename the event

"Divers Don's Underwater clean up"
You should be given recognition and credit for the effort you have expended to make the UW clean up a success.

The years will thunder by- 10 --15---20 ---
The clean up could and possibly will have a life of its own
Become an annual event and a valuable local economic event

Diver Don and the Clean Up will all too soon be covered with the dust of history

Your name should be not forgotten and always be associated with the "Clean Up"
Next Year-- Diver Don's Underwater Clean Up

Sam Miller III

Thanks Sam,

I'm starting to tag my brand to the event now. I have 30 divers signed up so far and I expect even more as the date draws near. Now I need to get more boats to ferry them around.

So far I've been able to gather concessions and even some prizes for the volunteers. Canvas prints, sporting good items (non-Scuba) , Gift certificates and more donated by local businesses. It's become a lot of work but having this much support and divers coming from many miles away I want to make this a thing to remember.

Know any Scuba vendors who would like to add their name to this event? Would be cool if I could do a drawing for a new regulator or some such thing...

DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom