Seawing Nova, or Nova Gorillas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birddog1911

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A few weeks ago, I had a chance to try both the regular Seawing Nova, and then a few days later, the Nova Gorillas. Only a few minutes with the Novas, and one dive with the Gorillas. Both have substantially more power than my old crappy fins, but I didn't have enough time with both to form a solid decision.

Wondering if some folks here have both, and which ones they prefer the most. My dive instructor has both, and I believe that he said his day to day are the Gorillas, but he was wearing his bright pink Novas on the dive.

ETA: Right now, I just flutter kick, but I am trying to learn frog and back kicking.

I own both and normally frog kick. This past December at Bonne Terre Mine I had the chance to dive both in a couple back to back dives when my son, who was diving in a different group, stole my Gorillas off the bench and left his regular Nova's. The Gorillas are a little stiffer but certainly not a large difference. If I was guessing I'd say 15% stiffer.

Thanks, and I do understand that they're stiffer, but what do you prefer on a dive to dive basis?

I owned both, I predominantly frog kick and found the Gorillas, being stiffer, much much better than the Novas. I didn't like the Novas and sold them after about 5 dives. If you flutter kick the Novas may be the better option, but if you frog kick, the Gorillas no question. Gorillas were one of my favorite fins, the Novas were not.

Last edited:
I owned both, I predominantly frog kick and found the Gorillas, being stiffer, much much better than the Novas. I didn't like the Novas and sold them after about 5 dives. If you flutter kick the Novas may be the better option, but if you frog kick, the Gorillas no question. Gorillas were one of my favorite fins, the Novas were not.

No issues of being too stiff and getting cramps because of that? Is the stiffness much more noticeable over the regular version?

No issues of being too stiff and getting cramps because of that? Is the stiffness much more noticeable over the regular version?

No. I found no issues at all. No cramps. I'm not a big guy. If flutter kicking in them I guess cramping "could" be an issue for some due to stiffness. I found them noticeably stiffer than the Novas which felt to me like wet spaghetti. Like I said if I only used flutter kick I might have stayed with Novas as I could certainly generate power flutter kicking without much effort. But for frog kicking there was no competition. I only sold my Gorillas as they are bit of a line trap and my local site has a lot, and I mean a lot, of discarded line, nets etc, I got caught up once, that was enough.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've got pretty good legs, and my current fins are fairly stiff. That, as well as my wanting to learn the frog kick, makes me believe that I'll go with the Gorillas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom