Seaweed Blenny in Sea Shell (using Ringflash)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marriard

Contributor
Reaction score
This was the first chance I have had to try out my Inon Ringflash which I had picked up about 3 months a go from ebay (from someone who didn't know what it was worth). You need good macro subjects for this set up, so off to Phil Foster Park in West Palm Beach for some Florida muck diving.

I am using a Sea&Sea strobe arm connector for the strobe, which I am basically hooking into my regular strobe arms and basically hanging it in front of the flat port. This works nicely for the 105mm lens.

I screwed up a lens setting, so the first dive wasn't quite as productive photo wise as I would have liked, but I did get a real feel for the lens. I did another dive with the ringflash on Saturday, which was better (but I haven't processed those images yet).

Here is a Seaweed Blenny in a Sea Shell.

22004_0515_071738AA_1.jpg

When I get a chance I'll write an article (like to get at least one more dive in with it first), but first impressions are as follows:

1. It is very easy to maneuver the housing and strobe.
2. Small subjects only, or centering on something real small that you can get real close to the lend.
3. Suprisingly little backscatter in the images even in bad vis - likely due to the small distance between the subject, the strobe and the lens. I also used a difuser which I am thinking of not using next time.
4. Images produce a winderful 'hill' levels/curve profile consistantly. Which should be expected when you have basically 4 even light sources on a close subject.

Definetly a speciality strobe for macro work. I'll need another couple of dives to really get used to how it works.

Questions welcome (as it will help me write a proper review).

M

awesome picture. wish i could say something useful. but the picture is awesome

wow...no shadows at all! Great shot, too!

very cool...is the ring strobe available for the 5050? I remember there was this guy in Europe that made one for the 5050...he said he would let me know his progress, but as of yet, nada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom