Seattle Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

I am from WV and planning to be in Seattle from 20-26 Oct. and was wondering about getting a dive buddy to show me a couple nice local dives. I was hoping for a two tank dive on one of the days that I will be in the area.

I have never been in the Pacific and I would hate to pass up this opportunity to see some west coast water.

Please feel free to PM me if you like.

WVDiver:
Hello all,

I am from WV and planning to be in Seattle from 20-26 Oct. and was wondering about getting a dive buddy to show me a couple nice local dives. I was hoping for a two tank dive on one of the days that I will be in the area.

I have never been in the Pacific and I would hate to pass up this opportunity to see some west coast water.

Please feel free to PM me if you like.

Well sure ... I'd be happy to dive with ya. I'm sure I can get a few dive buddies together for a day of diving.

Want to tell us a bit more about your training and experience level ... so we can plan appropriate dives?

Perhaps we can even manage to schedule a (long-overdue) Orca Bait dive on the 22nd or 23rd to give you a chance to meet a few fellow ScubaBoarders ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob I was thinking of posting the same thing reguarding a Oct orca Bait, but you beat me too it. I think that would be a great idea.

Thanks for the reply Bob,

Well you can look at my profile and get most of my training. Any other questions you may have feel free to ask I will not take offense to any questions.

The biggest difference for me will be the water temp. I understand that the temps. will be 45 to 50F which is a little cooler than what I am used to diving. I have been in 57 to 60 degree water for short periods but nothing under 50F. Cool temps don't worry me it will just be something new.

Tell me more about your Orca Bait Dive, it sounds intriguing. I don't really have any special type of dive in mind. I'm pretty easy to get along with and I will trust you to show be some worth while sites.

My wife has to be in Seattle for work and I am going just to look around. There will be several days when she will be totally absorbed in her work so I thought I would try to get at least a two tank dive in so I can say I have dived the Pacific.

The rest of the week I would like to just check out the sites and sounds kinda thing. I was born in Clarkston but have not been in Washington since I was about a year old.

I have talked to a couple dive shops in the area already and if I bring my own dry suit I can rent the other equipment for about $50 including two tanks. Couldn't justify dragging all my gear clear across the country for two dives but I will bring my dry suit. I understabd there are a good many shore diving opportunites.

The 23rd sounds like a great time.......just about what I had in mind.

I loved your gallery, there are some great pics in there. The one with you and the lady with Seattle in the background was super.

I am up to a dive with this group.. Just let me know when and where.. I will adjust my schedule to fit it in..

Can we get together before October??? I don't know if I can wait for another 3 months.

WVDiver:
Thanks for the reply Bob,

Well you can look at my profile and get most of my training. Any other questions you may have feel free to ask I will not take offense to any questions.

The biggest difference for me will be the water temp. I understand that the temps. will be 45 to 50F which is a little cooler than what I am used to diving. I have been in 57 to 60 degree water for short periods but nothing under 50F. Cool temps don't worry me it will just be something new.

Water temp in October should be around 50 degrees. It doesn't vary much here in the Sound ... it's at 54 degrees right now, and will drop to the low 40's by late January or so.

WVDiver:
Tell me more about your Orca Bait Dive, it sounds intriguing. I don't really have any special type of dive in mind. I'm pretty easy to get along with and I will trust you to show be some worth while sites.

Orca Bait is the name of this forum ... we have, in the past, had some local dives where forum members get together to dive and socialize. Not recently, unfortunately, as schedules just seem to get in the way. I'm an instructor, and this is my "busy season".

WVDiver:
I have talked to a couple dive shops in the area already and if I bring my own dry suit I can rent the other equipment for about $50 including two tanks. Couldn't justify dragging all my gear clear across the country for two dives but I will bring my dry suit. I understabd there are a good many shore diving opportunites.

I can save you some money and loan you a rig, tanks, and weights ... that is, if you're interested in trying out a backplate/harness/wing system with steel LP95 tanks.

WVDiver:
The 23rd sounds like a great time.......just about what I had in mind.

Then we'll just get it on the schedule ... :D

WVDiver:
I loved your gallery, there are some great pics in there. The one with you and the lady with Seattle in the background was super.

Thanks ... that's our favorite local dive site (Cove 2) ... and the best view of downtown Seattle that you will find.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Water temp in October should be around 50 degrees. It doesn't vary much here in the Sound ... it's at 54 degrees right now, and will drop to the low 40's by late January or so.

50 sounds pretty good. Not quite the stretch I had originally anticipated.

NWGratefulDiver:
Orca Bait is the name of this forum ... we have, in the past, had some local dives where forum members get together to dive and socialize. Not recently, unfortunately, as schedules just seem to get in the way. I'm an instructor, and this is my "busy season".

I understand, seems everyones schedule is so hectic these days.

NWGratefulDiver:
I can save you some money and loan you a rig, tanks, and weights ... that is, if you're interested in trying out a backplate/harness/wing system with steel LP95 tanks.

I have never used a backplate/harness/wing system with steel tanks rig before but I have always wanted to. Since you are an instructor and can teach me any new do's and don'ts of using such a rig I would love to try it out.

I have often seriously considered going tech. but I know me and I know how easy it would be to get involved with the tech end of the sport. I have purposely stayed away mainly because I think I would love it and I know how hard it will be on my wallet :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
Then we'll just get it on the schedule ... :D

Sounds great to me. When I get to town I would like to buy your lunch one afternoon prior to the dive so we can discuss the dive sites, equipment, logistics, etc. and get to know each other a little.

I will let you know where I will be staying, I should know for sure in the next day or two. I have narrowed it down to just a couple of places and just need to make a couple of phone calls to get things finialized. I will have a rental car so I will be able to drive to where you are if your lunch schedule is tight.

NWGratefulDiver:
Thanks ... that's our favorite local dive site (Cove 2) ... and the best view of downtown Seattle that you will find.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom