Seattle Armchair Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottychop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all,

Just took my first intro class this past week and am excited to keep on with the cert process. I am very interested in chatting about underwater photography and video as I have a gopro hero2 and am looking into a housing for my OM-D. Anybody have any recomendations for cert schools? We just did our 2 hour intro with Girldiver in Auburn, but live in West Seattle.

The only shop in West Seattle is 5thD on Harbor Boulevard, but I don't even know if they have anyone teaching open water, and if so, I don't know them. Many of the shops will do the open water dives in West Seattle, because the sites are sheltered and not sensitive to current, but they will do the classroom and pool work at their own site.

I can think of a number of instructors I think would give a good OW class, but to work with any of them, you'd have to drive for the classroom and pool sessions. Let me know if you are willing to do that, and I'll pass along some names.

We'd be happy to help you when you are ready to house your OMD. BUT I would say to wait until you have at least 50-100 cold water dives under your belt. Diving needs to become automatic before you start dealing with a camera, even a GoPro. Your safety and the reefs are more important. Enjoy diving, get your skills honed and then see us when you are ready.

Jack

Thanks for the replies. I am not averse to traveling, I just thought it might be nice to stay local. I am surprised actually, that there is not an established dive center here in WS with the amount of traffic we see. There are great pools to do training in. Looks like a great business opportunity for someone...

The OMD is staying on dry land for awhile for sure. The gopro is a must for me. I have used several point and shoots underwater (Lumix) and have come to really appreciate the Gopro for it's simplicity.

GirlDiver is running a special right now for pool/class time for $99 plus checkout dives. That seems pretty reasonable.

P1000440.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom