Seasonal Ticket Prices: Singapore to Manado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akbpilot

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I was doing some trip research for a trip tp North Sulawesi, and came across a wide swing in the ticket prices from Singapore-Manado using Singapore Airlines.

For instance I can book round trip tickets next week for SGD 392.00, but tickets in the July - August time frame come in at SGD 2053.00. Is this the normal seasonal spread, or am I not seeing something correctly? Both tickets were coach class.

Being from Alaska, I am used to seeing some seasonal variation and usually a gentle anal probing from the carriers, but in excess of 500% puckers even me up. :shocked:

Any suggetions or insite would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Since Silk Air is subsidiary of Singapore Air check to see if the overall rate LAX-SIN on Singapore Air, and SIN-MDC on Silk Air is better. In the past this route was cheaper if you left LAX before April 1. And then again cheaper around mid-Sept. You can also fly to Kuala Lumpur and from there to Manado (MDC) on Air Asia.

Sometimes you can get the connecting flight for no extra cost. (Alaska to LAX).

That increase seems quite a lot, but maybe the SGD 392 was a very cheap promotional fare, and the other is a peak season fare, (many Europeans have vacation July-August)

I don't know what the regular fare is. I usually take LAX-SIN-MDC on Singapore and Silk Air in late March or mid Sept. A few years ago it was US$1200

Thanks for the reply Alan.

On your suggestion I did some further looking. It seems I can book a coach ticket LAX-SIN-MDC r/t same summer time frame for around $200.00 USD more then the SIN-MDC r/t tix. Not making a whole lot of sense to me, but then the European vacation factor may have something to do with the package price.

Normaly I'd see the bargin in this, and just jump on the package, but I'm trying to use a ton of miles up and can get Business Class on Cathay Pacific LAX-SIN. The miles won't transfer to Singapore Airlines. I'll have to decide if it's just better to purchase the overall tix for us (wife and I) and save the miles for a different trip.

As far as the time frame, we usually never leave Alaska in the summer, but are trying to plan this around the summer vacation times of some friends from the UK. I understand the weather and conditions are better in North Sulawesi June thru August.

I did look at the Kuala Lumpur connection last night, and can do the CP flight there, but was a little put off by some reports of Air Asia having a bit of a "free-style"" schedule (maybe they'll fly, maybe they won't). I'll go back and do a little more research on that.

Well, back to the search. Thanks again for the info Alan, and anyone else feel free to chime in.

I did look at the Kuala Lumpur connection last night, and can do the CP flight there, but was a little put off by some reports of Air Asia having a bit of a "free-style"" schedule (maybe they'll fly, maybe they won't). I'll go back and do a little more research on that.

Well, back to the search. Thanks again for the info Alan, and anyone else feel free to chime in.

AA may cancel or reschedule the flight. Nothing you can do. I hv no evidence but I guess if not enough passenger they will cancel and combine to the nexts flight.
They rescheduled our flight frm KL to B. Aceh. Indeed, they notified us by e-mail & SMS 24 hours before but useless when you're on the way to KL. Although I bought their travel insurance (AA GoInsure) but again, totally useless as they cover for particular delay only - not reschedule flight.
Very tricky

I've travelled 6-7 flights with Air Asia and on the whole well pleased with them; the only flight that they did cancel was given with about ten days notice so was able to reschedule without too much trouble; but I've heard other horror stories. I think to a large extent, and if you can, build in some flexibility for example never book yourself on the last flight of the day, so if their are cancellations or delays you're better positioned to take advantage of later flights. Another advantage in my view of AA is that if you're travelling with gear, the weight allowance for scuba is well publicised, can be purchased in advance and very reasonable rates when compared to Silk / SQ.
Good luck; and have you worked out where you are going to? Do NOT miss Lembeh!

Thanks for all the suggestions and insight. I've learned a lot about flights in and around Indonesia in the past few days.

I'm not sure where we will be staying and diving yet, our friends from the UK were there a few years ago and did find a pretty cool place to stay and dive. Where ever do end up, we definately want to do some time at Lembeh.

Thanks Again!!!!

I don't think AA has cancelled any flights from KL to Manado in the last year that I know of. They changed the dates they travelled on without a lot of notice mind you :)

But that only affected one flight for 2 of our guests. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them, I fly with AA all the time

Thanks for the info Mike. Most of what I have seen on travel sites has been complaints about service, but that's to be expected. Good to hear from those who have a positive report too.

After watching the Silkair prices for Singapore to Manado RT for the past 3months , I finally snagged the best deal I have seen today. SGD$352 for April28, returning May 10. Based on what I had seen the past few months, it seems like the prices are at it's best approximately 3-4 months before the time you want to fly. Good luck akbpilot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom