Seasonal Confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackrock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been planning a multi-destination trip that includes Indonesia, but I'll be going there sometime between December '09 and March '10. I'm confused about the monsoon seasons and how they affect diving in certain places.

Can anyone help sort me out and let me know how my diving plans will be affected?

I want to dive these general areas:
Bali (Tulamben, Padang Bai, Menjangen)
North Sulawesi (Bunaken, Lembeh)
Komodo

Thanks

Dear Blackrock

I can only speak for Bali, but the rainy season never stops the diving around the area. The visibility gets slightly worse with the run-offs from the rivers but we never had a day when we just couldn't dive.

Dear Blackrock

I can only speak for Bali, but the rainy season never stops the diving around the area. The visibility gets slightly worse with the run-offs from the rivers but we never had a day when we just couldn't dive.

The Wet season is commonly between November and March
Forget Komodo in January and early to mid Feb / whilst the Wet season for Bali already started by then, however good diving can still be had.
Should be okay in Manado around that time as the wet is usually not as pronounced as other parts of SE Asia

I've been planning a multi-destination trip that includes Indonesia, but I'll be going there sometime between December '09 and March '10. I'm confused about the monsoon seasons and how they affect diving in certain places.

Can anyone help sort me out and let me know how my diving plans will be affected?

I want to dive these general areas:
Bali (Tulamben, Padang Bai, Menjangen)
North Sulawesi (Bunaken, Lembeh)
Komodo

Thanks

I've been diving in Komodo in november, I think you can still do it in December, but rain will be starting. Avoid January and February.
If you can, avoid Bali in January and February, you can dive, but it is the most rainy season. I've been diving there in november and march with no much rain.
In North sulawesi it will also be wet season, but there might be less heavy rains.

The best you could do is, if you can, start you trip in march

I understand I am not going to these places in the best season. I cannot start the trip in March. I will be in these areas between December and March. So, it sounds like I'll have to deal with some rain.

So from what I understand, Komodo is the only area I absolutely will not be able to dive because of the weather. Is that correct?

So from what I understand, Komodo is the only area I absolutely will not be able to dive because of the weather. Is that correct?

Not necessarily. Probably no liveaboards around that time, but from what I've picked up while I was there you should be able to do daytrip diving depending on the weather at the time (it might be windy and rainy, or sunny and calm). Why not send a few emails to the various diveshops in Labuanbajo - Reefseekers, Bajo Dive, etc, and ask..

I understand I am not going to these places in the best season. I cannot start the trip in March. I will be in these areas between December and March. So, it sounds like I'll have to deal with some rain.

Then, after asking the dive centers in Komodo, I would suggest to start with Bali or Komodo, go to Sulawesi in the middle, and finish with Bali or Komodo... but anyway, deal with the rain... if there is not much, it will be a good surprise.

Another point about spending Christmas and New Year... if you are on holidays and want to have a good time between the dives...
Sulawesi is mainly Christian religion, there, you can have some Christmas party, but in Bali you could even spend better New year in the touristic places.
Komodo is very very very quiet! No much to expect apart from diving or visiting a little (but for that better go to Flores and spend a few days toward the East of Labuan Bajo).
Sulawesi is not full of bars and discos neither...

Back
Top Bottom