Season Recap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga James

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had a decent season. My bookings were fairly steady, maybe some impact from a slow economy, but I had 2 stretches of prolonged bad weather that hurt. One was in July when a Bermuda high gave us about 3 weeks of strong SW flow without many breaks. The other was September, when 3-4 storms marched north well offshore and kicked in a huge swell that messed up viz. I ran 4 out of 18 booked days. That hurt. I was able to run at least one day every weekend in October. Hopefully I will pick up 3-4 more days before it totally shuts down around mid December.

How did you guys do?

Well, our season is actually just starting! The summer months are kinda slow around here, November starts our busy season....

However, we were quite busy over the summer as well. We have 3 boats, 2 inflatable 6 packs and a 36' Newton... We were back and forth between the inflatables and the Newton pretty much all summer long... Lately though, no matter what maintenance we've done, it seems like everything has been plagued with some sort of issue one way or another (boats, ugh!)

One of the outboards dropped the middle cylinder, but only when hot - still have to rebuild it, its just sitting and waiting on me, the other outboard needs a smaller prop - when it is loaded, it is hard to get up on plane - not a horrible issue, but an issue, nonetheless... the Newton (which has a Cat 3208) had problems with the RACOR that we didn't notice (its in a bad spot), and a bunch of water was getting into the fuel injectors, which caused serious issues... Replaced those and all is well now at least, rebuilt the RACOR to prevent it from happening again, and last but not least, every boat nightmare - electrical. The ignition switch took a dump at the same time the battery terminals became impossible to tighten. Replaced the terminals and switch - the switch that we got from the marine store turned out not to be waterproof as they told us it was, and it shorted out, which over the course of a rainy night fried the solenoid on the starter...

I think I finally got everything replaced that can be, and I've cleaned up the electrical wiring across the whole boat... Wire colors actually make sense to me, I've made some diagrams and such, and its all better!

As far as people diving, aside from about 3 days, we haven't not had someone on one or more of the boats all summer! Luckily, I have 4 more captains I share responsibilities with, I'm just the one in charge of boat maintenance / repair...

2010 was a busy boat maintenance year for me as well. I painted the topsides and added new graphics. He is a post of that project. Tortuga gets a facelift | tortugacharters.net

I also took a saws all to my cockpit deck to replace soft wood core. The pictures of that are too traumatic to post. I ended up using 3 gallons of West System resin on the new deck. It is bullet proof.

I also spend many hours with my mechanic and $3000 trying to tweak my fuel system and aspiration systems to get the boat running at peak efficiency. I think we succeeded. I took some pitch out of my wheel early in the process and now I think I may be able to add back a little.

Although it is a never ending process, I think I am ahead of the curve this winter.

OOOh, you said the deadly word James, ahead of the curve, I really don't know what that feels like, however, after getting blown out this week, I find myself in a bit of a lull, not knowing what's next. Guess I'll go skiing, after rebuilding this compressor! Hope you are well, will return to dive the U-boat. Are you running this winter? Capt. Doug

OOOh, you said the deadly word James, ahead of the curve, I really don't know what that feels like, however, after getting blown out this week, I find myself in a bit of a lull, not knowing what's next. Guess I'll go skiing, after rebuilding this compressor! Hope you are well, will return to dive the U-boat. Are you running this winter? Capt. Doug

Hey Doug, great to hear from you in the Captain's Corner. The boat is in the water, but I am not taking advance bookings, just staying "on call" for nice weather and spur of the moment trips. I am also gearing up to commercial BFT fish, but again only when the weather is nice and the bite is on. I fished 22 days in 2008/9 in all sorts of nasty seas and got skunked.

"Ahead of the curve" means that I still have projects that need attending to, none of which are mission critical, so I should be able to work on them when I have the free time.

I actually got Sean and friends out there to the Sub at the end of the summer. Sorry you missed that trip.

I will return James, our season is slowing to the point that we locals can start our dive season, people are still calling, but, the weather is not working for the weekends, so, we have officially declared it the locals season start! Off for tooth dives and such. Got my compressor online finally, filling banks today! Hope all is well with you and I'll try to contribute some in the future.
Later, Capt. Doug

add another dead starter - this time in an Evinrude 60 hp Etec...

Had a great season all summer than due to bad weather had a terrible Sept - Oct. which are usually decent months for us here. November picked up and Dec is looking good. January starts whale watching season for us so over all a good year. Even with the terrible exchange rate on the yen we are getting quite a few tourists traveling here still.

Hi Guys, if anyone knows of a dive boat for sale, I'm looking for a 30-50 footer, need the vessel to have been or currently have a certificate with 100 mile routes. Just thought some of you may hear of one. We are also considering a smaller vessel for near shore use. Hope all is well with everyone and I'll try to post more often! Cheers and Happy Holidays to all!

Capt. Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom