Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everybody, many thanks for this super long thread that took me a few days to go through, but full of interesting takes and points of view about the suit and the different options.

I'm ready to pull the trigger very soon but still hesitant regarding some options proposed by Seaskin for the Nova.
It will be my first drysuit and I intend to use it for diving in quarries in France and Belgium all year long (can go down to 7°C during winter) and also for cave diving in France (around 14°C all year long).

So far, I've chosen the following options:

Suit:

- Telescopic torso
- Left handed zipper
- Main body dry zip cover
- YKK plastic dry zip
- Neck: quick neck
- Supplement for Siflex seals
- Slaggo flex rings
- Simple warm neck ==> I have seen many opinions regarding this option, I'm frankly hesitating between the simple and the standard version. I saw some people saying that it could be difficult to tuck a dry hood in the simple, but also other people saying that the standard warm neck could be a bit tight for the neck sometimes. Do you guys have any opinion on that after using the suit for a while?
- DIR Valve
- Sitech valves
- Neoprene socks
- Kevlar Knee Pads
- Increase brace width
- Expedition pocket + below pocket ==> I wanted to take 2 expedition pocket at the beginning but I saw that those pockets seemed to be able to embark a lot of gear (half a dive shop according to someone on this thread :wink:). So I'm now wondering if 2 expeditions pocket would be a bit overkill and if I should only take one expedition (to store wet notes and an extra spool+other things in needed) and one below (to store my spare mask).
- Eezycut trilobite on the forearm

Undergarments:

- I'm thinking to buy the 250gr one, with a tech base set. I'm just wondering if the 250gr one would not be a bit overkill for 14°C waters ?
Maybe a 150gr with thick wool undies could handle quarries in the winter, and a 150gr+tec base set from Seaskin could handle the caves?

Many thanks for your help on this one!

I have no problems with the simple warm neck and tucking in my hood. I like it a lot.

As for undergarments, it totally depends how cold you are.

Personally, I use the 150mg with a simple base layer down to 10C and the 250mg from 0-10C. I do not get cold easily though. Remember than a good hood is as important in these temperature range. For the price of the undergarments, get both?

I have drysuit hoods from Bare, Waterproof (no-bib version), ScubaPro, Seaskin, Seasoft, and Fourth Element.

None of them come down far enough to tuck into the warm neck. Maybe a very small amount of overlap with some of them, but not enough to bother trying to tuck in. Thus, I have no issues to report with the Simple warm neck.

I have the zippered pockets. I have never regretted having zippers rather than a velcro flap. But, I HAVE wished that they were bigger.

Has anyone ever gotten a drysuit with pockets and said "I wish I had gotten smaller pockets"? Maybe somebody, somewhere. If I got velcro flap pockets, I would get 2 of the Expedition.

No input on the undergarments. Everyone's cold tolerance is different. For wreck dives at 7C, I have been comfortable in the 150. But, wreck dives are generally relatively short. For cave dives (presumably, longer), I'm not sure the 150 would be enough for me at 7C. But, in my case, I would probably go with my 150 and some heat rather than wear the 250.

BTW, for less than two years have already got 2 holes in the crotch area - abrasion of fabric in this area (see one hole on photo), because of crotch reinforcement option I guess.
That is terrible indeed especially considering their very bad customer communications. @stuartv should pay for a new suit for you.

I'll send him a free tube of Aquaseal. He just has to pay shipping.... :)

You are tough, I'd at least offer him a plain pizza. I'd insist on a full service steak dinner myself.

Gotta say, my Nova is kickn’ ass. Other than a leaky dump valve which I simply swapped from my retired suit I’m enjoying it. I’ll take it apart and service it and keep it as a backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom