Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put new gloves on the Kubi rings and left a lot more length in the glove wrist area. No issues with the gloves sliding off this dive. The drawback is getting my fingers into the finger area of the glove, could be an issue if a glove gets over inflated with air as my fingers won’t be in the glove finger holes! I’ll run with this configuration for a few dives and see if I like it. We did a 80+ minute dive on scooters in 42 degree water so fingers were just starting to get cold on this last dive.
I get lots of questions on the SeaSkins dry suit, seems several of my fellow divers are seriously thinking of ordering one themselves. Many of us have custom suits that need replacement and the insanely high replacement costs have been keeping us trying to repair old suits that really need to be thrown away.

The drawback is getting my fingers into the finger area of the glove, could be an issue if a glove gets over inflated with air as my fingers won’t be in the glove finger holes!

Unless I don't understand this issue correctly, it sounds like the gloves are much too large for your hand size.

just wanted to give an update regarding shipping and fees, and such....

my wife and I are due to receive our fully loaded Novas tomorrow, along with base layers, 2 sets each undergarments (150 and 250), and some spare silflex seals. They were shipped FedEx, both suits in 1 box, and we're at about $4400 CDN for a total. In addition, we were charged $591 CDN which was basically just our 13% HST tax. Duty was only $11, and FedEx fees were about $30. Less than we were expecting, so that's good...

just wanted to give an update regarding shipping and fees, and such....

my wife and I are due to receive our fully loaded Novas tomorrow, along with base layers, 2 sets each undergarments (150 and 250), and some spare silflex seals. They were shipped FedEx, both suits in 1 box, and we're at about $4400 CDN for a total. In addition, we were charged $591 CDN which was basically just our 13% HST tax. Duty was only $11, and FedEx fees were about $30. Less than we were expecting, so that's good...

I'm anxiously awaiting my suit. When did you order yours and was there any change from the estimated dispatch date?

@bobmaggi

Just curious - which gloves are you now using?
I’m using the 720 Nitrile gloves. I am giving them a try based on recommendations from this board and other divers I dive with here in Michigan.
Unless I don't understand this issue correctly, it sounds like the gloves are much too large for your hand size.
I’m using the XL size which is the same size as the 620 PVC gloves but the 720 versions are actually smaller than the 620 gloves. I wear a heated liner with the blue Pinnicle merino wool over that so the finger fit is much tighter than the PVC gloves. I put more length into the sleeve of the glove as the gloves were popping off the Kubi suit rings (almost no lube on the glove or ring) when I was putting on my fins at the surface. Normally I make up the glove with just a little slack in the glove sleeve but it seems that the extra tension from reaching longer would cause the glove to slide off the ring. So I added some additional length to the sleeve to prevent that. When I put the glove on my fingers are just barely in the glove finger area, have to pull the glove down to get my fingers into the holes. Could be a problem if a glove fills with air and my fingers pop out of the glove! I’ll shorten the sleeve length down a bit more and try it out again.

@bobmaggi - ok, I now understand your situation. I'm also using the Showa 720s in XL. I just measured the length of excess glove at the open end that is showing while mounted in the Kubi rings. There's about 3/4" - 1" of glove when I measure from the inside of the ring, to the end of the glove (see below). Perhaps that will help as you reposition your gloves on the rings.

I've never had a problem with too much air getting into the gloves. I use the very small tubes which allows for air to pass in and out of the gloves.

Glove 1.jpg
Glove 2.jpg

@bobmaggi - ok, I now understand your situation. I'm also using the Showa 720s in XL. I just measured the length of excess glove at the open end that is showing while mounted in the Kubi rings. There's about 3/4" - 1" of glove when I measure from the inside of the ring, to the end of the glove (see below). Perhaps that will help as you reposition your gloves on the rings.

I've never had a problem with too much air getting into the gloves. I use the very small tubes which allows for air to pass in and out of the gloves.

View attachment 655851 View attachment 655852

Well, guys. I'm going to order a new Nova drysuit in the next week or so. Only thing I haven't decided on is whether to go with the warm neck standard or warm neck simple.

Those of you who have one of either style please give me your reviews of how you like them.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom