Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not gotten it wet yet. :(
Don't worry, ain't nothing wrong with neoprene seals. Much tougher than latex. At worst I get the slightest dribble, but as a middle aged man I've come to accept that :eek:.

Don't worry, ain't nothing wrong with neoprene seals. Much tougher than latex. At worst I get the slightest dribble, but as a middle aged man I've come to accept that :eek:.
Do you lube or talc the seals before putting it on?

Do you lube or talc the seals before putting it on?
Only kidding about the dribble; I do stay dry in my suit, honest :wink:.

I use lube for the wrist seals, but don't need anything for the neck. My latest neck seal was very long (with about a 2.5" fold) so I found it better to fold before putting my head through. Very easy and comfortable when in place.

So this is what I'm looking at now:

Seaskin Ultra - 3mm Compressed Diving Drysuit £355.00
Ultra Option - Extended Zip Flap with Hook and Loop £8.33
Dry Suit Option - Inflation Valve Comfort Patch £4.25
Dry Suit Option - Compressed Neoprene Socks
Ultra Option - Braces Set £10.64
Dry Suit Option - Name Badge Ultra £5.10
Dry Suit Option - Flat Pocket: Left thigh outside seam £14.47
Seaskin Undersuit High Wick Thinsulate 150 £100.00
Seaskin Short Neck Hood High Viz £20.42

Subtotal £518.21
Shipping (Air Mail International/ FedEx) £83.90

Total £602.11 (786 USD)

The real budget option, including undersuit and hood. Anyone see anything they think I'm missing? I'm thinking my main goal here is just to get something to use in water in the 50-60 degree range to start getting some drysuit practice, so I want to keep the price as low as possible.

So this is what I'm looking at now:

Seaskin Ultra - 3mm Compressed Diving Drysuit £355.00
Ultra Option - Extended Zip Flap with Hook and Loop £8.33
Dry Suit Option - Inflation Valve Comfort Patch £4.25
Dry Suit Option - Compressed Neoprene Socks
Ultra Option - Braces Set £10.64
Dry Suit Option - Name Badge Ultra £5.10
Dry Suit Option - Flat Pocket: Left thigh outside seam £14.47
Seaskin Undersuit High Wick Thinsulate 150 £100.00
Seaskin Short Neck Hood High Viz £20.42

Subtotal £518.21
Shipping (Air Mail International/ FedEx) £83.90

Total £602.11 (786 USD)

The real budget option, including undersuit and hood. Anyone see anything they think I'm missing? I'm thinking my main goal here is just to get something to use in water in the 50-60 degree range to start getting some drysuit practice, so I want to keep the price as low as possible.
I would not do the zipper flap, name badge or the inflation patch and the undergarment, I think you can find some extreme cold fleece for less money and like it better.

If I were to change anything it would to add the Si-tech low profile valves and wrist and neck seals with silicone seals along with spares. But to go lowest cost leave those out.

I would not do the zipper flap, name badge or the inflation patch and the undergarment, I think you can find some extreme cold fleece for less money and like it better.

If I were to change anything it would to add the Si-tech low profile valves and wrist and neck seals with silicone seals along with spares. But to go lowest cost leave those out.
Thanks for the feedback. Any specific reason to go with the si-tech valves over apeks?

regarding the undergarments, this is my first drysuit, so I’m really in no-mans land. I was interested in their undergarments mainly because I’m on the shorter and stockier side, and they’re order made to size. Do I need “special” diving undergarments, or could I go somewhere like REI and buy cold weather gear there to use?

Thanks for the feedback. Any specific reason to go with the si-tech valves over apeks?

regarding the undergarments, this is my first drysuit, so I’m really in no-mans land. I was interested in their undergarments mainly because I’m on the shorter and stockier side, and they’re order made to size. Do I need “special” diving undergarments, or could I go somewhere like REI and buy cold weather gear there to use?

I have HEARD (not experienced) that the Apeks (low profile only) dump valves could leak under certain circumstances. I had several people tell me that when researching for my suit, I had nobody tell me that their SI Tech valves leaked. I ordered SI Tech with my custom suit. Again though, this is nothing I have experienced, and honestly all valves will leak at some point or under some condition I am sure.

Just prefer them, the fitting is more cross hose compatible, my Apeks using buddies sometimes have trouble getting a connection, not a big issue more of a preference.

For the temps your looking at I think you can find what works well enough in your closet, get some wool for a base layer and layer up stuff you already own.

I have HEARD (not experienced) that the Apeks (low profile only) dump valves could leak under certain circumstances. I had several people tell me that when researching for my suit, I had nobody tell me that their SI Tech valves leaked. I ordered SI Tech with my custom suit. Again though, this is nothing I have experienced, and honestly all valves will leak at some point or under some condition I am sure.

I got the Apeks low profile dump valve on my Nova and it has leaked since Day 1. :( I was told that the leak problem was only with their older valves and I can attest that's not true. I would get either the Apeks high profile or the Si Tech. I have had no problems with my Si Tech dump valve on my other drysuit. The Apeks dump has a larger hole than the Si Tech cut into the suit, so you can't easily swap them. I'm trying to get Seaskin to send me a high profile Apeks but no joy yet. Mine leaks through the valve unless you dive it half closed, which is not how I like to dive a drysuit.

I have both the 150g and 250g undersuits and am happy with them so far (except that the fabric gets caught in the drysuit's zipper if you aren't very careful and my 250g is already torn and needing a patch from that happening). They are definitely a bargain compared to some of the other options out there, the made to measure fit is nice, they are warm, and there is a single zip pocket for a key or the caps to your P valve components. But, keep your fingers between your drysuit zipper and the undergarment especially as you unzip the drysuit over your shoulder. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom