Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So 1,000 posts in this thread going back nearly 3 years. Have to ask the early adaptors, how are they aging? Are they standing up to the test of time?

So 1,000 posts in this thread going back nearly 3 years. Have to ask the early adaptors, how are they aging? Are they standing up to the test of time?
I have had mine for somewhere around 6-7 years, had brass zipper replaced with plastic, had to reglued the neck system once and occasionally patch a sock but overall it’s great, I also bought a neoprene one that I don’t use often, prefer it in the water but don’t like the back zip.

Congrats! Looks like a solid suit, mine has a few differences, but it's the in-the-weeds type stuff. You definitely got all of the must-have stuff (telescoping torso, p-valve, DIR dump, and a dryglove system), I think you'll be pretty happy with it. Interesting choice on the pockets, it's not too often that I see mis-matched ones, but that's kinda the beauty of a custom suit. After you dive it for awhile, I'd be curious to know if you'd do it the same way next time.

I like my zippered pockets a lot, but I do wish that the little D-ring inside were made of metal instead of plastic. Because when I clip a boltsnap onto the plastic one, the only way to tell whether it is on there good is to give it a tug. Whereas clipping off a boltsnap to a metal D-ring gives a satisfying little *clink* sound, so I know that I've made good contact. That little clinking also makes it easier to diagnose a weirdly-positioned D-ring. I intend to swap mine out, and have purchased stainless ones, but have not found time for a sewing project. Some day soon. You might want to shoot them a message and see if they'll do metal D-rings in the pocket instead of plastic ones.

I tied a big loop of bungee through that D-ring and then clip stuff to that loop. The D-ring itself is way too small to clip stuff directly to it.

My Nova is still like new after almost 3 years, but only, I think, around 100 dives in it. I did notice last week I finally got a pinhole in one of my dry gloves. That’s nothing about the suit other than I’ve dived it enough to get a pinhole on the back of the hand of my dry glove….

I've finally taken my measurements and put my order together. Here's what I'm getting

All Black, Orange thread
Fully telescopic torso
YKK plastic zip and zip cover
Trigon pee valve
Quick Neck system
Simple warm neck
Oval Cuff rings
Move dump (DIR)
Inflation comfort patch
Compressed Neoprene socks
Kevlar knee pads
No logos
Increase braces width to 40mm
Upgrade Mat drysuit bag
Braces pocket
Two expedition pockets on side
Spare seals

I'm on the fence about getting the base layer. I know I want to get the Waterproof Meshtec undergarments and I'm not sure if the base layer will be necessary. Any comments?

I've finally taken my measurements and put my order together. Here's what I'm getting

All Black, Orange thread

I'm on the fence about getting the base layer. I know I want to get the Waterproof Meshtec undergarments and I'm not sure if the base layer will be necessary. Any comments?

Nice! They didn't use to have an option for choice of thread color. I see their website has been significantly revised and they do now. That is awesome.

I have the Seaskin base layer and their 150 and 250 gsm undersuits, and the 150gsm shorty undersuit.

A few months ago, I got the Waterproof MeshTec 3D shirt and leggings to try.

Now, my go-to config for diving in water down to (at least) 50F is the Seaskin base layer and the MeshTec garments.

I have been very pleased with how warm the MeshTec stuff is and how low bulk it is. At first, I thought the MeshTec was really floaty and required more lead than the Seaskin 150gsm undersuit did. But, after some experimentation, I am now diving my CCR with the MeshTec undies and no weight at all (in fresh water).

I DO think the Seaskin Tech Base layer is a very good idea underneath it all. It does a great job of wicking water away from my skin and does add a little warmth. I don't think the MeshTec (or the Seaskin 150) is intended to be worn directly against the skin.

The Seaskin Tech Base is very inexpensive, compared to alternatives like Under Armour. I recommend to get 2 sets. My experience is that it pulls moisture away from my skin, but once it's off and hanging up it does not dry super quickly. Depending on the conditions where I am, sometimes the base layer is still a little damp on the outside the next morning. Having 2 sets ensures I can put on a completely dry set every morning when I am diving consecutive days.

I totally agree with @stuartv on the base layer. It’s amazing and you can’t beat the price.
2 sets of base layer is pretty much a must.

Enjoy counting the days until your suit arrives and enjoy diving it even more!

Nice! They didn't use to have an option for choice of thread color. I see their website has been significantly revised and they do now. That is awesome.

I have been very pleased with how warm the MeshTec stuff is and how low bulk it is. At first, I thought the MeshTec was really floaty and required more lead than the Seaskin 150gsm undersuit did. But, after some experimentation, I am now diving my CCR with the MeshTec undies and no weight at all (in fresh water).

I DO think the Seaskin Tech Base layer is a very good idea underneath it all. It does a great job of wicking water away from my skin and does add a little warmth. I don't think the MeshTec (or the Seaskin 150) is intended to be worn directly against the skin.

The Seaskin Tech Base is very inexpensive, compared to alternatives like Under Armour. I recommend to get 2 sets. My experience is that it pulls moisture away from my skin, but once it's off and hanging up it does not dry super quickly. Depending on the conditions where I am, sometimes the base layer is still a little damp on the outside the next morning. Having 2 sets ensures I can put on a completely dry set every morning when I am diving consecutive days.

Thanks Stuart! My instructor and buddies all rave about the MeshTec, but I shall add the base layer in per your recommendation. The thread color is neat! I wanted to get purple thread but they don't offer that option... better than nothing I guess

I have had mine for somewhere around 6-7 years, had brass zipper replaced with plastic, had to reglued the neck system once and occasionally patch a sock but overall it’s great, I also bought a neoprene one that I don’t use often, prefer it in the water but don’t like the back zip.

So how did these pinholes happen usually?
Walked on stone and/or just got pinched on some sharp objects?

Want to take note so that I don't pin mine on my first days. :)

I totally agree with @stuartv on the base layer. It’s amazing and you can’t beat the price.
2 sets of base layer is pretty much a must.

Yeah.... I had my first ever condom catheter blow-out last week. :( Peed myself inside my suit big time. Note to self: Do not skip the Coloplast prep wipe just because you just got out of the shower!

The place where I was staying had no washing machine. Rinsing out my base layer in the bathroom sink didn't really help. I had 2 or 3 more days of diving. I didn't have a second set of MeshTec to use, but it didn't seem to hold the smell too badly... Having that second set of base layer to wear was nice...

So how did these pinholes happen usually?
Walked on stone and/or just got pinched on some sharp objects?

Want to take note so that I don't pin mine on my first days. :)
Wear and tear, nothing specific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom