Seaskin drysuit MIA at customs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ski_Lounge

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I ordered a Seaskin drysuit recently (which really was over two months ago, guess they were backlogged). It finally shipped from the UK two weeks ago, lucky me! It made it's way Stateside, but has not left Memphis, TN (been there 5 days now). My understanding is Memphis is the where Fedex sends overseas packages to clear customs.

Mostly I'm eagerly awaiting the drysuit, but part of me wonders if it's normal for overseas scuba gear to take that long to clear customs. What experiences have you guys had with customs? When is an appropriate time to start working the phones to Fedex/shipper? Might still be early given it's only been 5 days in customs, but I'm not sure if there is missing paperwork or not. The Fedex website just says "delivery date pending".

I ordered a Seaskin drysuit recently (which really was over two months ago, guess they were backlogged). It finally shipped from the UK two weeks ago, lucky me! It made it's way Stateside, but has not left Memphis, TN (been there 5 days now). My understanding is Memphis is the where Fedex sends overseas packages to clear customs.

Mostly I'm eagerly awaiting the drysuit, but part of me wonders if it's normal for overseas scuba gear to take that long to clear customs. What experiences have you guys had with customs? When is an appropriate time to start working the phones to Fedex/shipper? Might still be early given it's only been 5 days in customs, but I'm not sure if there is missing paperwork or not. The Fedex website just says "delivery date pending".

Memphis is FedEx's main hub. I don't think you quite realize just how jammed they are. Air freight, along with ocean freight, is at a breaking point. Melt down time. It's been that way for months. I'm a licensed customs broker. I have several customers with current shipments though Fedex. I'm clearing them, not Fedex. Trying to get the paperwork out of Fedex in a timely manner is damned near impossible. The ones I'm dealing with are through Chicago as they're destined for recipients in the Chicago area. I had to go digging to find the super secret squirrel phone number for the Fedex warehouse at O'Hare. That got me what I needed MUCH quicker than going through the 800 number. The O'Hare warehouse is absolutely overloaded with freight and they're short people, which I completely believe.

I fully expect the delay has to do with congestion, not something wonky with the clearance of your suit. There's nothing you can do.

Thanks Marie13, appreciate the background. And certainly relieving to know it's not something specific to my item!

Well, actually not sure how I feel that ALL packages are taking long to clear. Maybe it would have been better if I could've solved it with a magic phone call ha!

Thanks Marie13, appreciate the background. And certainly relieving to know it's not something specific to my item!

Well, actually not sure how I feel that ALL packages are taking long to clear. Maybe it would have been better if I could've solved it with a magic phone call ha!

This won't make you feel better. Last week I ordered replacement O ring sets for my Kubi gloves direct from the UK. I ordered Sunday, they shipped Monday, I had them Tuesday. Shipped via DHL Express. But I'm also in the Chicago area, which massively contributes to getting overseas shipments quickly. I had the same experience when I ordered the glove system from the UK a month ago.

I had an envelope with two mouthpieces from Europe take 2 weeks to clear earlier this year. It is not just you.

Eep, so it not even transient delays for this month! Sounds like this has been ongoing for a while. I saw that Memphis got backlogged due to bad weather in late February, I figured that may have cleared out.

This won't make you feel better. Last week I ordered replacement O ring sets for my Kubi gloves direct from the UK. I ordered Sunday, they shipped Monday, I had them Tuesday. Shipped via DHL Express. But I'm also in the Chicago area, which massively contributes to getting overseas shipments quickly. I had the same experience when I ordered the glove system from the UK a month ago.

Hahaha no it does not :( Makes sense, Chicago is a major hub. Thought they'd have something closer to the East Coast (and checking my Fedex history, I do see it landed in Newark then went to Memphis). Sigh, the saga of the drysuit continues.

It’s all the eCommerce stuff due to the pandemic. Been going on since the fall. It’s horrid.

@Marie13 There are issues with sea freight also it seems, I have been told that there are issues with "container availability" worldwide causing prices to go sky high for shipping containers. Do you know what this is all about?

Back
Top Bottom