Seasick shore dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been fortunate not having any seasickness or nausea problems whatsoever while on a boat or diving in surge conditions. I remember taking some dimenhydinate tablets along for my first live aboard trip. I was fine but, my roommate consumed all his and half of my tablets. I've heard that not having a history motion sickness is not a guarantee of not having future issues. I'll take the pills along, just in case:vomit:

Only time I've ever felt seasickness setting in was on a long-range deepsea fishing charter out of the Outer Banks in some nasty conditions. The up and down and up and down mixed with the noise and stench of diesel exhaust getting sucked back into the cockpit didn't help matters. Didn't vomit but was certainly unsettled.

That is another reason for those who may be prone to seasickness to take the smaller, faster open dive boats (6-10 packs and such)... It seems counter intuitive but generally one is far less likely to get sea sick on a smaller open boat that they can see all around and keep an eye on the water and horizon than on a cattle boat. Bigger boats pitch and roll differently and usually block a 360 degree view.

Back
Top Bottom