Seas & Sea YS-03 Strobe Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rolli81

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I've been using two S&S YS-03 strobes since 2019. Both were purchased separately a month apart and they've done about 30 dives.

On a recent dive they seemed to indicate low battery charge (ie. red/green light flashing, would fire a few times then need to be switched off for a few minutes before working again, etc). So today I replaced the batteries with my usual brand, only to find the red/green light blinking on both strobes and unable to fire. I tried a different brand of batteries just in case, but the issue remained. The strobes did not flood on the last dive, and were rinsed and stored as normal.

The fact that both have failed at the same time can't be coincidence, but I can't understand what has gone wrong or how I might be able to sort it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rolli

Hi,

I've been using two S&S YS-03 strobes since 2019. Both were purchased separately a month apart and they've done about 30 dives.

On a recent dive they seemed to indicate low battery charge (ie. red/green light flashing, would fire a few times then need to be switched off for a few minutes before working again, etc). So today I replaced the batteries with my usual brand, only to find the red/green light blinking on both strobes and unable to fire. I tried a different brand of batteries just in case, but the issue remained. The strobes did not flood on the last dive, and were rinsed and stored as normal.

The fact that both have failed at the same time can't be coincidence, but I can't understand what has gone wrong or how I might be able to sort it out. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rolli
Hello,
I have same problem as you and looking on Internet I found your posts on WetPixel where You provide some sort of manual how to reset strobe.
Wold You be so kind to send me manual since it's not available online any more.
Thank you in a advance
Berry

My wife is having the same problem. Can you enlighten me on the fix?

I have the same problem. Can you please share with me the manual about resetting the strobe?

Anyone figure out the fix for this? We've also tried new batteries, new fiber optic cable, checked all modes.
I have to assume light is busted .. but hoping for a Hail Mary as we head out today for some diving :)

I've also read about some kind of 'safe mode' if it overheats that can be reset on the higher end models but nothing for the YS-03.

From Backscatter

This is actually quite a common issue that we see and are definitely able to service this strobe for you.

We can take a look at the strobe for you and reset the circuit protection mode if in fact that is the issue. We can also assess all the functions of the strobe and check to see if there are any other issues.

If the strobe is only in circuit protection mode and there are no components that need to be replaced due to damage, the labor will cost between $50-$75 and the turnaround time will be between 1-2 weeks.

Thanks Tommy, I have the backscatter service paperwork already on hand from Mike... free estimate too, which is nice. Appreciate you replying here on Scubaboard also. We'll send it in soon.

Update after purchasing second YS-03 and it also went into circuit protection mode and was unusable:

ME: "Do you know why the strobes go into circuit protection mode? I have another one that has done it also. What is to prevent this from happening again on the one that was repaired?"

BS: What brand of batteries are you using? Are they single use AA batteries or rechargeable?

ME: I am using Duracell AA single use batteries.

BS: It could be the batteries then. Single use batteries will start to self-discharge over time and if you put batteries at different charge levels into the strobe, it can trip the circuit protection. I’d recommend switching to rechargeable batteries, that way when you pull them off the charger, you know they’re all at the same full charge.

We like the Panasonic Eneloop Batteries that I have linked below. If you get two charger sets and an extra 8-pack of batteries, you can have a set on the chargers while you’re diving and always be ready to go.

Panasonic 4-pack of Rechargeable Eneloop 2000mAh NiMh AA Batteries with Charger

BTW, got the strobe back from backscatter fixed and ready to go. Great stuff. I think I'll also replace the Eneloop batteries I've been using. They are a few years old so maybe something going on there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom