Searching for two WWI French Minesweepers in Lake Superior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They have their hands full. I was up there looking for the 500' Henry Steinbrenner in an area we knew she'd be in but still no luck. The minesweepers, Bannockburn, Leafield, Lambton, and St. Clair are vessels that went down with absoulty no clue as their last whereabouts. Eventually they will be found, but it will take years as searching in Lake Superior is a pain in rear with the nasty bottom.

One is rumored to be very close to the Fitzgerald. Like if someone were running sidescan on the Fitzgerald they couldn't help but find one of those minesweepers.

Let me put that rumour to rest. An area 3×5 miles has been searched with high frequency side scan looking for other debris and the missing 1/3 of the hull. I used to think that the Aurania was only 1500 yards away but I was way off. The freighters William F Sauber and Arlington may be close by as the Fitz sits on a shelf. As you get past the shelf the lake gets to about 700-900.

Back
Top Bottom