Seaquest BCD leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2MADAKAT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This may be a silly question, but I bought my Seaquest ADV spectrum 4 in the 90s and it has been a great BC. I tried a wing one, but did not like it as much as the vest style. Recently, it started leaking and I found it was coming from what looks like a tire valve that I was not even aware was there. It was buried under the left side pocket. What was this valve for, maybe inflating stuff and? and is this repairable? The leak is coming from where the valve joins the vest. I tried to add a picture but it says uploaded file too large for server.

My guess is it is additional schrader valve to be able to attach an additional inflator, or change the inflator position. There are some inflators that are installed to the position you mention such as Cressi-Sub J107 Flight Control System Buoyancy Compensator : Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors.
Whether it is repairable is hard to answer without seeing a picture. Anything can be glued in general and it will depend on the skill set of the repairer how long it would hold.

Here are pics of the valve

Attachments

• bc valve.jpg
    bc valve.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210822_220928_copy_480x640.jpg
    20210822_220928_copy_480x640.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 71
I think next step you need to take is to figure out whether you can remove the washers. You need find out whether your bcd has a separate air bladder or bladder is the fabric it self. My guess is that valve has a rubber ring around it and it is glued to the fabric/bladder and leak is at the rubber where it meets the valve.

Those old Sea Quest Bc's almost ALWAYS have degraded plastic fittings for the inflator and pull dump. Check those threads carefully, before using and squeeze it a little and see if it disintegrates in your hand. I have had it happen on basically ALL my old sea quest BC's. That may solve your worries about the extra leaking port.

If the BC checks out and the existing leak is slow, you might be able to smear aquaseal all around the perimeter and get it to stop, but to be honest, I don''t trust the fittings on those older BC's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom