Sealife Reefmaster - Sportdiver Ii Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bflem55

Contributor
Reaction score
just wondering if this camera is any good for a entry level camera?? I dont wanna break the bank on a camera at first because I am still buying gear. I just want something that is easy to use and that I can get good pics with. Also is taking pictures bottom side pretty easy??

Its all about water clarity and light. You might want to take an UW Photography class first.

It's great little camera. I have been using one since 98. There are others that are cheaper and just as good. Trying to remember the name, I have one. Clear case with a blue finder. Try Ebay. Where are you diving?

ohio so mostly freshwater by the next time I take a ocean trip I will have a better camera. O yeah I am diving the St. Lawrence seaway next august.

If you are going to get a "better" camera anyway, skip this one and get one that will grow with you. You can find several options that won't break the bank and that will, imho, give you better results.

Check out the Pink Link for information on many popular models, getting started taking photo tips and lots more stuff. Hopefully you will find it answers a lot of your initial questions and gets you on the road - if not, we're here to help you spend your money, no problem :D

well for right now I would just be taking pictures of wrecks and stuff like that with this camera so would they probably come out alright?? as well the add on for the strobe and stuff like that do i really need that right now??

It really depends on your tastes. For me, the answer to "would they probably come out all right?" would be no. They would not make me happy. I would be happier with something like the Canon A series or the Olympus 350...

I would start with just the camera and housing. Learn how to use it. Learn its limitations and learn how to get the most out of it. Learn what you really really like to shoot - this often ends up being different to what you thought you wanted to shoot. THEN add stuff as you figure out which bits are going to bring you the most joy.

However, if you are shooting wrecks a WAL is going to make your life much easier as you will be able to get closer (number one rule in uw photo) and get more of the wreck in the frame. You can shoot natural light to begin, you'll just have to be content with the types of shots this method can produce. If you want more light, you'll have to add an external strobe. Many WAL block the internal flash of your camera and using internal flash for WA just begs for more backscatter in alot of instances.

That's my two cents...

Let me know if you ever get to the Florida Pan Handle. I live about 9 miles from Vortex www.vortexspring.com An inexpensive camera is fine. I think that the sea life is very over priced. There are others just as good if not better for a fifth the price. You don't need anything fansy. You can only do so much in fresh water inland and only take so many pictures of Bluegill and catfish

what about just getting a housing for say a sony cybershot will those take ok pictures??

Again, "OK" is really subjective. Again, no, I would not be happy with a sony cybershot from the various models that I have seen come through. Several models at least - I don't really consider sony's a real contender for UW work and don't keep up with every model - don't offer true manual control though they are marketed that way.

For me, I will not live without control of my aperture, shutter and ISO at a minimum. If a camera does not have those three things, I wouldn't be happy with the results because I've used cameras that limit that control and the results just don't work for me. And the difference in set up price just doesn't make sense to short-change myself. There are others who get results they are very happy with from models without those controls - so YMMV!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom