SeaLife Reefmaster SL560

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderDaSea104

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

Was hoping someone could give me some feedback on this 35mm set-up by Sealife. I'm looking for a camera to do some snorkeling. I've read that a camera without a strobe is pretty limited so I was wondering if anyone had tried this combo. The kit includes external strobe, macro lens/filter, depth range of 164ft. It sounds like a good deal for the price - I found it on Amazon for 285.00. I'm completely new to this area of photography. Ive gotten some great tips from other members recently and have been searching for a reasonably priced setup that will produce decent prints.

I'd appreciate any info I can get on this.

Thanks

This is my
32.gif

35mm analog cameras are obsolete for amateur scuba photographers. Kodak will cease making reloadable APS and 35mm format cameras in North America by the end of 2004 but continues to sell film. Its clearly a phase out move.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2404929

You will spend at least $100-200 on film & processing learning how to take photos properly.

Everyday, more and more digital camera manufacturers are making cases for diving with their cameras. Canon is one of the largest.

Nikon just announced new cameras with their first diving case:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04010801nikoncp3200_2200.asp

OEM makers of cases:
https://www3.ssldomain.com/fantasea/prod_det.asp?id=29
For the Coolpix 885, a setup now costs $210:
http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?item=nkcp885&l=Froogle
And the case $150-180.

For most of these cameras, you don't need a macro lens, they take unbelievable close ups. You can't go as deep as the Sealife, but recreational diving past 100' risks narcosis, not including being task loaded taking photos. Realistically, you are taking photos in the shallows.

My A200 camera, from Ebay, is $70. Its scuba case is $150. Welcome to digital u/w photography.

Using right tool for the job and using good techniques are what make great images. UnderDaSea104, if you are reasonably competent with a computer you will be very happy with a digital camera. You can take great macro photos with digital and it's very easy. But, if I were to get a new system I not even think of buying a camera without a wide angle lens. Almost all the digital housings allow for a wide angle lens to be attached.

About using the right tool: I WOULD RATHER HAVE THE SEALIFE FILM CAMERA WITH A STROBE AND WIDE ANGLE LENS THAN A DIGITAL CAMERA WITHOUT A WIDE ANGLE LENS. Macro photos are wonderful but don't convey what the whole reef looks like.

I have spent more money on computer stuff than on processing. Today you can shoot 400 speed print film and not worry about exposures. Then you can take your film to a digital minilab and get your prints with a CD. If anything, film still offers simplicity and better image quality.

Good luck!

A wide angle is great lens, again its not necessary to take great photos because good lighting and vis is always a limiting factor in photographs of large vistas. Whereas macro photography is dependent on very close conditions and the built in flash, making for many excellent moments for photoraphs. You may probably loose your expensive wide angle lens if you don't pay attention and its a snap on type.

Skill in the use of a computer or film is always necessary. I take about 300-500 pictures per dive, simply because there is no penalty. I just delete pictures I don't like and you can capture moments of pure magic you can't as no amateur analog camera can hold as much film as a digital. Per Kodak a 35mm has about the same grain as a 3000x3000 pixel image, or roughly 6 Megapixels. Those who buy such cameras today make magic:

www.echeng.com
www.wetpixel.com

I have seen more mediocrity with analog cameras than images of true value. But among digital camera users so many photos are good that proper exposure and imagry is commonplace, what matters now is artistry.

Thanks for all the info guys!!

I especially enjoyed reading Gilligans 2cents. Great job - lots of information!! I am convinced. Digital is the way to go.

I also checked out the links from Saturation. Got some good ideas and I think Ive come up with a winning combination. I like the Nikon Coolpix 4300. It gets great reviews and I can get one for under $300 (newegg.com - love this site, great service, good prices, lots of resources-links to reviews, manufacturers,etc.) Fantasea makes a housing for it that I found at B&H Photo for under $150.

Its a bit more than I planned on spending. But as Gilligan suggested buying in low and upgrading later is a huge waste. I guess you could now call me a "prosumer"! I was torn between the Olympus c4000 and the Nikon 4300 but the Nikon has a few more features and every review Ive read cant brag enough about picture quality. I am going to take Gilligans advice on the strobe and stick with the internal flash - I was very impressed with your underwater (strobeless) shots - breathtaking!! I wont have the opportunity to use this camera underwater often enough to warrant a strobe. Just hoping for a few decent shot on vacation!

Again thanks to all for your help!! Hope to be able to post some of my own pics in the future - cruisin the Caribbean in Oct. Wish me luck!!

Underdasea104

Nice pic Saturation!
It almost looks like you may be tickling the turtle and he looking down laughing at you! LOL! Or the turtle is P.O.'ed and wants to bite...
Looks like you made a good choice Underdasea104... I've seen what the 4300 can do out of the water and it is a very good camera! Hope to see some pics.... I've been outta the water too long... need it to warm up here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom